Ok have you heard this before?

" if we link massive pain to any behavior or emotional pattern, we will avoid indulging in it at all costs. We can use this understanding to harness the force of pain and pleasure to change virtually anything in our lives."
OR

" Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."

What is your feedback. I read this tonight and it really hit me. I always anticipate something is going to be worse then it really is.

Dieting will be terrible or I don't want to face the bills, we have no money. (Invariably when I actually do face the things I need to face it really isn't as bad as my mind made it out to be.) What are your thoughts?

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 2:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I actually agree with this. I don't feel pain when I don't want to. Your brain controls your bodies "feelings" and if you control your brain then you control what "feelings" you feel whether it be pain or pleasure. For example: take a person who was "torture tickled" I know there are alot of us out there whose parents or siblings who didn't stop tickling when it was way beyond fun. I am not ticklish anymore because I was tickled so much growing up that I learned how to turn that "tickle" feeling off. My kids can't stand it! lol
    I'm not sure if that's what you meant though by your question though :P
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It just hit me that all the things I dread doing, whatever it is...is not really so bad once I get up and do it. The author says that we get up and do the things we dread when the pain from avoiding them becomes greater then the pain from actually doing them. Trying to associate pain with not doing them will cause us to change. He states that we go out of our way to avoid pain more then we would go out of our way to achieve pleasure.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I am contemplating on going Greyhound AGAIN to Sacramento. Something inside me wants to rent a car and just drive but for some reason I am too effin' scared! I fear I will wreck or even get a flat tire and inconvenience my mom. I now have friends and family joking about it, It pisses me off because all we have is each other and what if I lose control of the car (not normal I know) but I just freak at the thought of freeway driving. I lost my dad and husband left the same year so I had to become the "MAN" so to speak. All I have is my son and my mom and what if I crash or get lost?
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Gigi,
    True courage can only take place in the presence of fear. Fear begets courage.
    You strike me as an independent person. Would you allow this fear to place limits on you?
    I do understand the fear of driving, I actually have that fear also. But I will not let it control me.
    I hope you are having a great vacation. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009