Has anyone said no to shots? Worried! My 16 year old has Autism. I've heard so many stories dont know what to believe. Can we wait till the baby is older?

vstanley69

Asked by vstanley69 at 2:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Of course you can! I got my DD the first DTaP and the first Pc at 4 months and 8 months and i've stopped for now, I just didn't like her reaction to them. Most people recommend if you delay vax to wait until they are 2 years because their immune system is much more able to handle them. But you can delay them as long as you want, get only the ones you decide on etc. I suggest doing A LOT of research, start with The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears.
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 7:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Check out the group selective/delayed vaccination for a ton of info. We were on an alternative schedule with my first, but he almost died due to a reaction to his 2nd DTaP at 8 months old so per doctor's instructions we waited for anymore until he was 2 and in that time I did a ton of research and decided not to vaccinate any more at all and my youngest has had none. You can get exemptions in all states for school and daycare so don't let that scare you either. I would recommend reading this journal and filling out the form for all the vaccines/diseases out there and then make a decision. Until you make that decisions just say no because you can't take out what is already put in, but you can always put it in after you are positive of your decision.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1444732/To_Vaccinate_or_Not_to_Vaccinate
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My one yr olds have yet to immunized. My 2 yr was diagnosed with autism shortly after her birthday, so opted to wait it out until 2 yrs for the boys.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 7:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Yes you can say "no" to shots.

However, autism and shots have absolutely nothing to do with each other. So if you have other concerns for not vaccinating and protecting your baby, that's up to you! It is totally your choice. If you think not vaccinating will PREVENT autism, you're sorely mistaken.

But yes, you can wait or not vaccinate altogether. Keep in mind, though, it makes it much more likely the baby will contract one or more of the otherwise possibly prevented diseases.

The fact that you already have one autistic child increases the likelihood any other kids will be on the spectrum. Vaccinations don't have a thing to do with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• No, you don't HAVE to vaccinate on time or at all. But as the previous anon said...it's not going to prevent autism if the baby has it.

My aunt and uncle have 5 kids. All of them were vaccinated on time. The youngest has autism, ADHD and is bi-polar.

I have three boys, all vaccinated. The older two are strongly suspected to be on the spectrum. The youngest appears to be neurotypical.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Considedring there is a family history of autism, it would be wise to talk with your doctor about delayed shots or skipping certain ones. They can't force you to get any of them. It's your choice. Get as much info as you can though, so you can talk to you doctor about all the options
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2009