Birth Control

If you had the 'sex talk' with your DAUGHTER and then when she's, like 16-17, tells you that she's having sex, would you take her to get birth control? Or would you just tell her she can't have sex or what?
- IF my daughter told me that she was sexually active (OR SON), I'd probably put my DD on birth control - just because it's the most responsible thing to do.
This is just a question though. Both of my children are babies - I was just asking because I'm watching this 16 and Pregnant show on MTV.

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 2:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• If my daughter told me she was sexually active I would definitely have her put on birth control. I don't want her to have to worry about teen pregnancy.
    StephPierson

Answer by StephPierson at 8:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I would definitely. I got pregnant at 18 and had asked my parents for birth control before. Of course I told them it was to help with cramps, but still.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would too - she's going to probably want to be on birth control as an adult and I want her to know that I love her (both my girls) no matter what. Now, if she was younger than 16-17, I'd probably have a huge problem with it (LOL) but I know how old I was when I started having sex - and I got the sex talk A BUNCH. I don't want to be a grandmother early and I want them to respect themselves enough to get on birth control and not have a baby before they are ready. I already decided that if they get pregnant when they are teens, I'm just going to tell them I'll help some but I've been waiting for them to grow up so I can focus on my (Future) career and myself some and I intend to do that - if I wanted another baby, I would have had one. Lol. That's just me though.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I hope that my daughter tells me when she's ready to have sex, so that I can get her on BC. I wouldn't tell her she couldn't have sex (couldn't stop her anyway, without locking her up). I would just encourage her to be very safe and to not have casual sex.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Keep in mind birth control does not protect against disease, or infection.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• get both, tell her you do not agree, she is too young, but you don't want her to get std's either, so she needs both, condoms.
    OMG< I feel for you, my daughter is 13, I showed her pics of STD's, told her, her body is a temple, and if a man or boy can't wait he really just wants the goodies, and if she gives them up, he will just go get goodies-from the next one. Her last boyfriend left her because she didn't kiss him, but thank goodness, a kiss leads to the touching, she said it is gross, and tells me what other girls are doing. THANK YOU BABY, BUT GOOD LUCK, BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW, AND NEITHER DO I. IKES.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Absolutely, I would go and put her on Birth Control. I will also be explaining to my DS/ DD what behavior I expect of them if they decides to have sex. Such as being responsible for themselves and any babies that could occur, etc.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Yes, I sure would put her on birth control. Then again, I have a son and he has had the condom talk shoved down his throat on a regular basis. I have also told him to NEVER believe a girl when she says she is on birth control because some girls lie about it and birth control does not protect against STD's. It is unrealistic to tell a teen that they can't have sex, they will find a way;with out without birth control. I would rather my son and his partner be protected than them sneaking around. Also, at 17 a teen does NOT need parental permission to go on birth control and the doctor cannot tell you that it was prescribed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would take a 16 year old for birth control. Hopefully, you have already had the banana and condom talk at this point; if not, do so now.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• YES PLEASE I love both of my children but im only 18 i became pregnant at 15 i told my dad i wanted to get on the pill i wasnt having "sex" but very close to it so i wanted to be safe and he told me no i was not to have sex i told him then to please put me on the pill to regulate my period. Well then about 2 months later i decited to have sex for the First time and guess what i missed my period........ please dont be oppionated about me just do your daughter a favor and help protect her. ( Also please tell your daughter once is all it takes and just to say im still with the same guy but thats not always the case....so please i know its hard to do as a parent but put her on it
    momof2really3

Answer by momof2really3 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2009