do certain foods effect eczema?

I have a 51/2 month old who has mild eczema. I would like to start giving her baby food (rice cereal and homemade baby food) within the next couple months and was wondering if there are any foods that make eczema worse or if it is only effected by weather.

Kylies_mommy72

Asked by Kylies_mommy72 at 2:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes! They do! Some that are known to trigger eczema can be cow's milk and dairy products, eggs, nuts, fish, wheat, shellfish, tomatoes, yeast, tropical fruits, some additives in products you buy everyday... Every baby is different, so follow the four day rule when introducing foods and if you notice a reaction different from when your baby is eating "safe" foods, eliminate that food for a while to see if the reaction subsides.

As far as giving her cereal, try making homemade rice cereal. It is cheap and easy, and you can monitor it to make sure that you don't have anything in it that might cause reactions. If you don't want to make homemade rice cereal (I just started making homemade babyfood and I am hooked!) then just buy rice cereal to start. It is so mild she should be fine!

You can find homemade rice cereal instructions, eczema info and more on this website:
    http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com
    vdecker

Answer by vdecker at 3:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Eczema can be affected by many things. You should talk to a pediatric allergist. They may recommend that you hold off of certain foods for a while. Eggs, wheat and milk are a few things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I don't know about foods but I know cortizone oitment works great from itching and all that
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my eczema is affected by the following: orange juice, red meat, certain tap water, stress and weather. My savior is cetaphil lotion and soap. I would certainly monitor what she eats and see how it affects her one food at a time.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• formula and breast milk can cause it too
    my daughter had it from my breast milk her dr said milk related
    ask your babies dr just so you can be safe ! good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• You won't know if anything will affect it until you try a given food. Unless you're going to do full allergy testing with the needles pricking the skin that is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• thank you, that was very helpful!
    vdecker- i will try that site, thanks!
    Kylies_mommy72

Answer by Kylies_mommy72 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2009