Beginner Style Cake for daughters 2 year Birthday..tips ideas?

So for the first time Im staying away from fondant. Its a bit intimidating for this one considering I have no time to mess up. I would however love to learn soon. I need some recipes for something simple yet unique and cute. I was thinking maybe a square or 2 tier round. Smoothed out buttercream.. and some decorations here and there.Anything tips help! If you do have a good recipe amount of people should be 20-25 to be served. Its a pool party theme. Thank you for all your answers!!!!

misswhite

Asked by misswhite at 3:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• for decorating whatever the cake is put the cream on it and make a border all around the cake then take blue colored jello follow directions on the box let it sit in the fridge a bit like just and I mean just when it's starting to be not liquidy but very very gigily pour it over inside the borders of the cake put it in the fridge and after the jello is ready it will look like water then you can add little bech balls or other decorations that have to do with water, I hope this makes sense it's hard to explaine but it's really simple to do
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:21 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would pick a cartoon character she loves, for example Elmo or Disney Princesses and then go to your local craft store such as Michaels, AC Moore or JoAnn's! They have a cake ailse and usualy have Wilton Cake pans in many popular kids character shapes, and the piece of paper showing what the finished cake looks like includes instructions for making the cake just as shown....such as what icing tips you need and colors.

For my son's first birthday I had a lot of people coming so I also had a large wilton sheet cake pan. I made a sheet cake and the Elmo shaped cake, I covered the sheet cake in white homemade butercream frosting with red piping around it, then put the elmo cake on one side of the sheet cake at an angle and used the star tip with red frosting to make an amazing Elmo cake on top. The other side had the writing and candles! It was an awesome looking cake!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• first of all... I am ALL about cupcakes now! You can use cupcake stands to make them more layered, or push them all together in any shape and frost the top like it is one big cake.... I just saw some cupcakes where they used a decorator to frost (just so the top looked uniform and like waves) then used that spray can of food color to spray them blue, then used different pool type picks or toys to decorate. I also like to make decorations with melted chocolate and candy molds (SO easy)
    PattiDons

Answer by PattiDons at 1:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Here's a website that might give you some ideas. Hope it helps. :)
    http://www.wilton.com/
    collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009