Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support With a NON - Supportive Father

Can any one tell me what to do to get child support and if it is true that a father can sign over his rights to not have to pay ? My x has left me 3 times during this pregnancy I am 39 weeks along and have more baby daddy drama than i ever imagined. This man has 3 other children that he stopped supporting nearly 2 years ago but was married to their mother, since he lost a factory job he worked local construction and they never took it from him ... he denys the baby being his but yet threatens to take her away I know for fact its his child and am sure he really does also, anyhow... can i get some info/advice please i am only 21 and this is my first child for all this man has done to us i want some revenge ..... Stressed prego mommy to be :( please

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • don't stress or think about revenge cuz it won't make it any easier it will just make you more frustrated and you don't need all that this far along, what I would do is by calling your health and welfare office and explaine the situation to them and they should get you started on the right path with child support,
    good luck and congrats with your new baby

    Answer by looovemybabies at 3:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

  • If your child will be on Medicaid, the state will start the process for you. You go through the courts and they can do the paternity test and set up child support. However, there's no promise you'll get your money. My ex owes $15,000 in back child support and my daughter is only 3. He cannot sign away his rights just to get out of paying child support. He can sign off his rights, but only if someone is adopting your child (ie you get married and your husband is adopting the child).

    Answer by toriandgrace at 3:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

  • actually there's alot u can do. u don't nessesarily have to wait for the state to do anything. u you're self can file a petition for child support to get the ball rolling on that, giving the courts as much info as possible, they can even handle the dna testing too. in my case, i had a problem with daddy drama and he made alot of threats, 1st thing to do get a plan together to protect u and this baby u carry, what kind of support system do you have ? let's start there and i'll see what to do to help you. i have a degree in legal work, know family law like the back of my hand. so by all means get back to me. ok. --kays_mom

    Answer by kays_mom at 4:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

  • Just let him sign his rights away then you never have to deal with him. But the fathers still have to pay support even if they sign their rights away. The only time their support will end is when you meet a wonderful man who wants to adopt your child. Find out what is best for you and your child. Do you want this man in your life and is he gonna be a good father or not. Does he see his other children???

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.