What would you do if your child was being severely bullied in school?

Recently a 15 yr old boy killed himself because of the severe bullying that had followed him for years. Almost every student who has brought a gun to school and killed classmates has done so due to bullying.
If you knew your child was being treated this way year after year what would you do? Would you change schools? Or move entirely?

I always wonder what the parents who know their child is dealing with this sort of thing do. Do they try to get the school officials involved but nothing comes of it? Do they get the police involved? Or do they do nothing and wait for it to get to the point of suicide or homicide? Do they even know?
It would seem to me that getting the school and police involved would only aggravate the bully, or bullies, more and cause more trouble.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would try to get the situation resolved through the help of school administrators and teachers. If that didn't get anywhere, I would put my child in a different school. I wouldn't want her to be miserable because of the way other students treated her.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Having dealt with this sort of thing as a teen I know the school admin don't help whatsoever AND like OP said it only makes the problem worse. You are then treated like a rat and they are pissed for getting them in trouble. Moving school is the best way.
    It sucks to have to teach your kids to run away, but if it is that bad there ain't much else to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would try and solve the problem with the scholl administrators and if that didn't help then I would have my husband teach him to fight and stand up for himself, and if that didn't help I would either do home school or put them through another school depending on what he would want to do, my son likes to hit kids and he is almost 4 and I'm always on his butt about that I don't tolorate him hitting or anyone else hitting him.
    It's crazy that a child has to kill himself just cuz some jackass has to bully him around why didn't his parents involve him in his life to know whats going on it's just ridiculus
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:05 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• The schools won't do anything about it so my kids have all been taught to stand up for themselves and kick ass if necessary.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would try to teach them to stand up for themselves, but yes I would yank them out in a heartbeat if it went unresolved.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 7:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I live for my kid(s) and I would move, homeschool, center my life around them if I had to.
    Seven07

• I homeschool. I would try and resolve the problem, but we know that is usually useless so I would switch schools or homeschool.
    momaof8

Answer by momaof8 at 8:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would homeschool. I then have more conrtol over providing

Positive social interaction with his peers.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 8:21 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Here is my story or should I say my son story. Jeff was the target kid in the 4th grade. We try to get the teachers and principle but they just say we can not be everywhere. So I told Jeff if the teachers will not do anything about it next time someone kits you you hit them back. He did but he do not know to make sure a teacher did not see it so he spend the rest of the day in the office. We then begin to home school him.. He tells us today he is so glad we did so.
    Alieda

Answer by Alieda at 8:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• what about the "Bullies: parents- why are they not teaching their kids not to be a bully. those parents should have a talk with also. Even if you move, I saw online that it happens in 90% of schools all over the country. type in school bullying and see what you get- hundreds of instances. Most the time the one that bullies sometimes have been bullied themselves.
    carol4004

Answer by carol4004 at 8:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2009