Is it right to spank your child for hitting?

My son has very recently begun hitting when he gets mad. He is 18 months old and it doesnot hurt when he does it but some day it will. My husband and mother in law have come face to feca with it and managed to make him stop doing it to them. I have used both metheods previously used by my husband and motherinlaw and have had no sucess. I feel as though a last result for me is spanking. I just don't understand why he keeps testing me.

Mother_ofa_brut

Asked by Mother_ofa_brut at 6:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That one is really hard! I would definatly spank though or at least swat his hand. He needs to know what it feels like. Then it might make him stop. Each child is different but it has worked for my kids. And they NEVER hit me when they are angry.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 6:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well IMO at that age they don't understand that mom can hit, but they can't and they learn from YOUR actions so NO spanking or smacking their hands is not acceptable. With my children when they hit or kick or whatever I simply tell them that hands are for hugging and give them a big hug. If you say hands aren't for hitting all they hear is hitting and think it is okay, but by saying hands are for hugging and then hugging them the hear hugging and learn real quick. For me it took about 1 week after they started hitting, kicking etc to correct the action, but neither do it anymore and they are 4 and 2 years old now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• There is a difference between HITTING and SPANKING. Duh.

Is it right for you to spank YOUR child for hitting? Only you can answer that.

It is right for me and mine. Worked wonders, too. My kids all know the difference between hitting and spanking, too.

And at 18 months, they can understand a hell of a lot more than you think, aeneva. Let them grow up a little and let them show you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I firmly believe in spanking!!!

just tell him "NO" and give him alittle spank on the butt and just keep doing that... my nephew always went for glasses and it took one time and he no longer does it and he is 15 months, so they know!
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 10:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i have a very similar problem, my 15 month old daughter has started hitting when shes frustrated or when we take something from her, and im compleatly stumped as to how to deal. i mean i believe in reasonable spanking, but then i have a self confilct b/c i dont think smacking her hand can teach her not to hit ... grrrr lol ... but i really hope that you get some good advice from this question, and just know there are many moms right here with you !!!
    kayleighsmom_07

Answer by kayleighsmom_07 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I don't understand what the difference is between hitting and spanking? Anyway in my opinion you are only teaching the child that hitting is ok sometimes and you are confusing the child in that way. How is he/she supposed to understand that he/she cant hit but mommy is allowed too?
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:44 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It's not right because the kid will hit depending on how old the kid is... hitting isn't good! ya gotta get that through your head ladies... NO HITTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• i already asked htis question hmm...?
    BriannaBopp

Answer by BriannaBopp at 1:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009