Newly Pregnant and I have some kind of bug...help

So I'm about a month along (havent been to the doctor yet they don't see patients till 8weeks) and my son has given me a bug he has. DRY coughing a lot, green mucus when I can cough it up but I'm having a hard time doing that. I am really starting to feel horrible. I've had it for about two weeks now and my son as well his doctor gave him amoxicillin(sp) but when I asked if I would be able to take it they said probably not. SO...what can I do to help my coughing and it be safe for my new little growing love!? Warm showers wasn't helping at all. Thanks ladies.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you are starting to feel horrible, go to the Dr. and get checked out; you don't want to end up with something really serious. They can look up what is and isn't safe for you to take.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with PP about going ahead and going to the doc. However, you can take guiafenisen (the active ingredient in Mucinex). Just don't get the kind that says DM on it! No Dextromethropan! (Not sure of spelling!). You can take Tylenol for a fever. And they can give you some meds at the doctor's, I'm not sure of Amoxicillin or Penicillan though. I had a really bad chest cold and took nothing for it and by the time I got in to the doctor, I had bronchitis. She fussed at me and said if I couldn't breathe well, neither could baby, so I should've come in sooner! Hope you get to feeling better really soon! It sucks to be in the first trimester AND be sick at the same time!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 7:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I had the same problem. I got a really bad stomach bug when I was about 5 weeks pregnant. I too wasnt able to go to my doctors till I was 8 weeks along. however, I called my doctor (even though I hadnt seen her yet at all) and asked what medication I would be able to take. She told me to take pepto bismol.
    So Id say if you cant see your doctor, at least call him/her and ask what you can take.

Good luck, hope you feel better.
    BelloItaliano

Answer by BelloItaliano at 8:27 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My doc said robitussin and cough drops are fine, tylenol to help with aches and pains and fever
    rjacob2008

Answer by rjacob2008 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• having a very normal pregnancy, I got a flu like cold around 20 weeks and I took tylenol 4 the fever which almost hit 103, I was told clarinex is ok by my doc but i didnt take any, and I just waited everything out. Took a long time because I only took tylenol, but it went away =]
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 9:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I took Amoxycillin when I was about 6 weeks pregnant and it do anything bad....well it turns out Im allergic to Amoxycillin and Penicillin, but I mean other than that it didn't do anything to hurt my baby.
    Anonymous