• In the Spotlight:

I have recently decided I woud let my 10 year old twin daughters "address"their issue of hairy legs....however-I'm torn between Veet or possibly bleaching? Def don't want to use a razor just yet or wax-anyone? thanks

KMA010199

Asked by KMA010199 at 8:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I have a license for skincare so I will give you my professional opinion. If you are worried about keeping it simple because of their age I would take the razor over bleaching or depilatory creams(nair, veet, etc). Those both are strong chemicals for a 10 year old girl to be using. And you are right wax is way too much for them. First off, bleaching leg hair can cause skin burns and may not take normally do to the fact the girls haven't gone through puberty yet. Second, you would have to buy a lot of it, it's expensive and it has to be done a few times a month. Creams are very high in chemicals that burn off the hair. I have seen grown women get chemical burns from it, I wouldn't suggest it on a 10 year old girl. If you choose this, to a patch test first and don't leave it on the entire time, it will burn. I know you aren't too keen on shaving but supervising them and having them do that may be your safest option.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:24 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• not bashing just giveing my input...my dd is 12 and she just started to shave last week we started with under arms and i told her how to do it and i hung out in the bathroom incase she needed help or questions. she did great and was so proud of herself and a job well done lol, now just this past weekend she asked about her legs and shes at that age were she cares about the hair and shes blond u can only see hair when i give her sun block lol but i remeber that age and what was said to me when i was young and in school so again i told her how and was there every step of the way.. again she did a great job and i have told her now that u started this is just about a rest of your life thing lol. and shes happy now to do it just wait.....its your choice what to do i just wanted to let u know my story so maybe it would help u decided..good luck to u and your dd...
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I started using a razor when I was 10. I knew other girls that was waxing but it sounded to painful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• What about an electric razor? I know Walmart sells a decent one by Remington...fairly inexpensive $30 I think and it works very well and comes in pretty metallic colors. Mine's metallic sky blue...lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I let my oldest daughter shave around that age. She was very hairy and the bathtub looked like a cat shed once she was done. Just get a GOOD razor and some shaving cream and show her how. She'll do fine. Practice makes perfect.
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 9:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• RAZOR, THINKING ABOUT IT. It is all chemicals, you never know.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My daughter is 13 and been using it for 2 years, she did start off with veet, but thinking about it. I don't think that was wise, with my 10 year old she will use the razor.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• let them use a razor to see what a pain it is to keep shaving their legs. at ten It should just be one of those things of "I wanna grow up"
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with the other ladies, to just let them use a razor. There are a LOT less chemicals in shaving gel or cream than there are in the Veet or bleach. If you're adament about going with Veet or bleach, I'd go with Veet. Bleaching would be way to harsh on them, plus if they use too much, could lead to some very painful problems.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:44 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• When the time comes (fairly soon with my DD) , I think Razor is the best way to go. I do find it a bit odd that its even a discussion of when a child should start those things. After realizing that most girls in gym did shave, I simply used my mom's razor one day (I was 13) and announced it to her, when I got out of the shower. She said, "Oh" Like she had forgotten to mention it to me, that a girl should do those things. I was much older than my friends were, but then my hair was very blonde.
    Anonymous