what is the deal with complaining about TV shows?

It seems like these days that is all parents can do . They say they hate a show because of the violent nature in it . Or it suggests sexual themes . Or whatever excuses people have come up with .
If you are so offended with it then WHY let your children watch it just to complain about it later?
We dont let our kids watch the crap on TV now we actually took responsiblitly for what our children watch . The only new shows my son watched were teh ones on Nick Jr and Playhouse disney
Same will go for my daughter other then that it is all Inspector gadget the old cartoons , Rescue rangers , Tiny toons , Flinestones, Jetsons, Smurfs, ect.
if your so offended by they new shows and modern TV why not tell your young children no ? Why not find good cartoons and stuff to watch ? I just dont understand most moms these days . It just seems like moms in my age group that are like me are a rare find .

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree if you don't like it turn it off!!! It seems to be such a simple solution, but some people make it very complicated!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I turn the TV on for my son and get it to his channel which is either Sprout or Noggin. Then the controllers go out of reach so he can't change it. When he is napping, that's when I watch my shows. I haven't had any problems with him seeing something I disagree with. I see no reason to complain about TV shows when there are 100's of channel's out there to pick from. Don't like one, onto the next.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well, here's one possible reason why parents today complain. I don't know about anyone else, but watching TV with my family after dinner was a thing we did - it was fun, we spent time together, we each chose our favorite shows. But with today's programming, parents who grew up with that kind of family time can't give their kids the same - today's evening programming isn't meant for "family" viewing - it seems that it's either kids cartoons (and even those you need to be careful with) OR it's adult themes/situations...but nothing for the family to enjoy together. I've learned to watch only programs on Netflix - I don't even have cable anymore for this very reason. If I want TV time with my son, it has to be age appropriate for him and still entertaining for me. Not much out there that meets that criteria in today's programming. IMO, parents are just wanting to share a bit of their childhood with their kids, but it's not easy.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I don't know. My kids watch whatever. I really don't limit them. I don't let them watch really scary stuff (R rated horror), or stupid nothing by violence stuff (WWE) or Mr Rodgers, but other than that they can watch what they want. TV doesn't make your kids act out or be bad, lack of disapline does! My tv is usually on all day. They play and don't really sit to watch it but, it's always on... In the evening they do usually sit and watch Simpsons & Family Guy so that I can make dinner and maybe some Blues Clues if they aren't in the mood to play, but I don't limit what they watch, never have, never will. I don't understand why anyone would...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Sabrina, you don't let your kids watch Mr. Rogers but you let them watch Family Guy? nothing against family guy, I love the show but that just seemed odd!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• What is wrong with Mr. Rogers?

Answer by rkoloms at 12:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2009