Hard wood floors or carpet with babies and kids?

Do you prefer hard wood floors (with or without area rugs) or carpet with kids and babies?
We have hard wood floors throughout our house with an area rug in each room (but still have ALOT of floor surrounding the rugs). Our 20 month old daughters room is the only one with wall to wall carpet.
We are also hoping to have another baby within the next year.

So we are trying to decide on putting carpet in every room, a few rooms, or leaving it all hardwood. We have a living room, play room, and our bedroom with hardwood floors.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• i like the look of hardwood, but it's always dirty compaired to carpet that unless there's big chunks of stuff looks clean most of the time. my daughter would have crawled a month earlier if we'd had carpet because of the hardwood her legs kept sliding everywhere. (it was funny to watch!) we have a big area rug in the living room now and there's already stuff on it that won't come up, no matter how careful we are. (lucky for us it was a cheap one from sam's.) hardwood is easier to clean, but you have to clean it more often. each has pros and cons, i guess it's what works best for you and your family.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i personally hate hardwood floors
    id rather have carpet so that my kids dont drag dust adn stuff around on their clothes or toys
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I have wall to wall carpet. My kitchen has no carpet. but my DD is never on the kitchen floor. Carpet is good for children I think.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Which one looks better with the decor of the house? That's the one I would go with.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Oh leave it hardwood!!!! We do the hardwood with area rugs and it's so much better than when we had the carpet (I have a two year old and am expecting). Just go get bigger area rugs for when you have the little one. It's soooo much easier to clean and keep clean this way!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i love hardwood. It's easier to clean and better for kids with allergies. I have a few area rugs and a soft matt for the play area for when my daughter was learning to crawl/walk. She hasn't had any problems walking or crawling on the tile. We recently pulled up all the carpet in the bedrooms and put down laminiate wood floors. It's great! So much nicer and you would never believe just how filthy the carpets were! THe thing about carpet is it is easy to *think* they are clean when they aren't.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Hardwood. It is so much easier to clean up the inevitable sticky stuff and brown pudding than carpet.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Hardwood. It's so easy to clean up after kids. :) It doesn't get dusty as long as you clean it frequently. I use my swiffer wetjet on it every day (ish).
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Hardwood, my son might have allergies and the first thing the doctor said was to get rid of carpeting, no joke.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 10:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I've had both and IMO, neither is better or worse than the other unless you have health issues (like allergies, then you don't want carpets) or illnesses where the bones break or you bruise easily (then you'll probably want carpet). If there are no health concerns, then go with both if it works with your house - young babies can experience the different textures and older kids can have different play areas for different toys (some just work better on carpeting or on hardwood). So go with both, or one or the other, but I don't know that one is better than the other (unless you want to get into the chemicals released, which is greener, etc...then there are lot's of different responses based on the actual product you select).
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2009