I am tired and need your help...

My 10 1/2 month old does not sleep though the night. He wakes up 2 to 3 times and he does not go back to sleep without feeding him. If I don't feed him, he crys really loud for long time. Please help me and not just tell me put some music for him (does not work). Another problem he has that his sleep is very light, when he sleeps we even can’t walk to his room or do any thing near him. I am first time mom and young, I am sure it my fault that he is this way. But could you please help me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried feeding him cereal? Why don't you email me and we can try to get to the bottom of this. My DD is also a light sleeper too.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my son was the very same way. hes 4 now, and i know exactly what u are going thru hun. nothing seemed to work for us except get up and deal with it. and i hated doing that. and ignoring his cries was a living NIGHTMARE! the only thing i can tell you to do is give it some time and let him get used to you NOT gong in there and responding to him when he does this. 1,2,3 ay will go by and seems like it wont go away or stop, but give it a week or so and he should stop. at the time it seemed like forever, but now that hes older and we look back, it really wasnt that bad and we actually forgot all about it. so hang in there and try real hard to no respond. im sorry if this does not help. but it will take some time if you do.
    Jmain8

Answer by Jmain8 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• 1,2,3, DAYS not ay...lol sorry
    Jmain8

Answer by Jmain8 at 9:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'd put a small fan in his room, and turn it on high. It may block some of the noises that wake him. It is constant and the same, not like music that changes. I'd also try having him sleep less for naps, if at all possible, and feed him cereal like one mom posted as a before bed meal. I hope it gets better. I know how it is to be sleep deprived. Also, don't feel guilty having your husband or SO get up too. Does not matter who works when or who is at home, you need sleep.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I feed him big bowl of cereal before he goes to bed. My husband cant help me cuz when he wakes up he does not know what he is doing( he is like drunk people when he wakes up middle of the night) so I don't trust him to send him to my babies room, I have to do it my self.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• yeah I'm with everyone else; if he goes to sleep and has a bottle before bed; add cereal into his milk; if not and he just eats regularly out feed him cereal; something that his stomach will be full on; but if he's a light sleeper I'd do actually what the other mom suggested add a small fan into his room; a sound that can drown out the others. I hope everything gets better for you; and I agree as well cut back on the naps during the day; where he cant help but to be sleepy at night. :) good luck !
    dorkish_face

Answer by dorkish_face at 10:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• We just took my 4 mos. old to her appt. and the doc said she can go through the night w/out eating as long as we feed her every 4 hrs. during the day. At night she should be skipping one meal, so she should go 8 hrs. We are going to try it and lately she has been sleeping a lot longer at night. We do let her CIO a little, esp. if I know for sure she is not hungry. We've been going in and patting her and then she falls back to sleep. Everything takes a while to sink in with her (she's very stubborn) so even this method took a good couple weeks for her to understand. Be consistent, whatever you decide to do and he will get the hint that nighttime is for sleeping.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Try my fan trick and see if that helps! It's called white noise.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i agree w/ the fan or white noise! it is a consistent sound and it does help to drown out any noise you might make. we used a fan in my daughters room. she is a light sleeper. my daughter is ten months now. and i got the same conversation from my doctor when she was maybe 4 months that she did not need food during the night however she was used to it. if every night you were used to getting up and eating and someone just cut off your food you would be upset and hungry. i do not think there is anything wrong w/ just cutting it off cold turkey i just could not do it. so i followed the advice of watering down her bottles for about one week and then i gave her the following week half of the watered down bottle and then a couple of times she did not wake for any night feedings and then i just decided no more and she cried for a bit ( i honestly do not remember how long). for maybe a couple of nights. it is so worth it!
    mollysmom76

Answer by mollysmom76 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2009