please help me...

My 10 1/2 month old does not sleep though the night. He wakes up 2 to 3 times and he does not go back to sleep without feeding him. If I don't feed him, he crys really loud for long time. Please help me and not just tell me put some music for him (does not work). Another problem he has that his sleep is very light, when he sleeps we even can’t walk to his room or do any thing near him. I am first time mom and young, I am sure it my fault that he is this way. But could you please help me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• first its not your fault some kids are that way
    have you tried feeding like a heavier dinner?
    i know with my son about that age id give him his baby cereal at night about an hour before bed . he would sleep all night
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• How is it your fault that he is hungry? Feed him. That's all. Not all babies will sleep through the night. Cereal will fill him temporarily, but when it's digested, he's going to be more hungry than ever, and it takes a LOT of calories away from him by substituting cereal for formula or breastmilk.

How is it your fault that he is a light sleeper? It happens. You can't MAKE a baby sleep, you can't MAKE a baby a heavy sleeper, you can't MAKE a baby a light sleeper.

I don't read anything in your post that makes anything YOUR fault (other than the fact that you had sex and had a baby from it LOLOL You definitely had a say in that! lol)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My son wakes up to eat about 2 or 3 times a night as well (He just turned 11 months). Last night I put him back to sleep without feeding at 2 am, by 3 am he was up screaming again. I think some kids just get hungry at night and that's it. A lot of people try to tell you he "should be sleeping through the night by now," but I don't think that's true about all kids.

I'd start by trying to give him more calories during the day. That might help him stay full longer at night. I don't think that there is one miracle cure. It's going to take a lot of work because he's formed a routine of eating at night. Is there anyway to get him to sleep? Rocking him, patting his back, rubbing his belly? You might just have to give up a little MORE sleep for a few nights while you try to alter his routine.

And you definitely can't make your baby into a light sleeper. It's just part of his little personality forming!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• ,y lil guy was the same. I could figure out why everyone kept asking if he sleep through the night yet?? I swear I thought I'd never get 8 hrs. sleep again. LOL
    I have a few tricks that worked for me or friends. Try and see what works for you lil one.
    1. The old time osliating floor fan- just the right amount of hummm to help sleep threw the occasional sound. Simulate the womb sound.
    2. make your baby tired & hungry- try prolonging a daytime nap by an hour, then feeding time by an hour, move everything a bit farther apart. The more hungry in between meals, then maybe one more ounce will be needed for dinner time. See where I'm going with this? That one extra ounce may get you longer between midnight feedings.
    3. Do you use a pacifier or formula?? A pacifer will be helpful when trying to space out feedings or to rock baby back to sleep instead of a feeding.
    (CONT.)
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• (cont)
    At 10 months your baby maybe able to grab the pacifier if it is in the crib and try to fall back to sleep alone. Have you tried the cry it out method yet? First time comfort the baby but put right back in bed, seccond time don't pick up baby, just comfort and leave room at 5 minute intervals, third time don't talk just comfort and leave room for 10 min....you get the idea, gradually let baby know your there, but not going to fall for the trick everytime baby want to be picked up.
    Formula. Reason I asked is it last longer in the baby's belly. So the cereal and formula would be a heavier dinner. Even if you breast feed, you could mix the rice/ cereal with formula for dinner instead.
    Just a few ideas, hope something works.. GL getting some sleep through the night soon.
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I think the more you try to be quiet for the baby (even from a young age) the more they wake up at every little sound. The more you do normal stuff, even vaccuming while the baby is sleeping, the more they tend to sleep through the sounds. This isn't exactly your fault, but you might be helping it along by trying to be quiet when the baby is sleeping. I definitely second the recommendation a fan in the baby's room, white noise seems to help most babies sleep better. I also second the pacifier suggestion.

At 10-11 months, they don't NEED to eat through the night. They definitely might WANT it and might have trouble falling asleep on their own when they wake up during the night.

While I did well with my daughter, I got into the bad habit of just getting up to feed my son at night because it was easier. By 11 months I was tired of it. (contd)

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• (contd)
    So I did it in steps.

Step 1 was to put him back to sleep without feeding him. So we rocked and we did the pacifier (which he wouldn't take), and we cuddled... and he did cry, but he eventually went back to sleep without being fed. We did this for 5 nights.

Step 2 was to get him to put himself back to sleep when he woke up. So I wouldn't pick him up. I would talk to him and pat his back and let him know I was there... We did this for a few nights.

Step 3 was to just talk to him when he woke up and tell him I was there and he could go back to sleep... he would cry some, but he did go back to sleep. We did this for a few nights.

And Step 4, I would go in at not say anything, just stand there and he cried some and went back to sleep. Again, a few nights.

Step 5. I wouldn't go in at all when he woke up and he would cry for a little bit and then go back to sleep. After 2 nights, he stopped waking
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2009