How do i get my 8 year old daughter to play with other kids?

Her teachers even say she goes off buy herself on the playground. When she's at home she plays with her younger sister and her younger cousin, but she wont play with anyone her age. Could this be a problem or could it be that she just wants to be the boss and younger kids will do whatever she says?

blue_eyedmomma3

Asked by blue_eyedmomma3 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Once your child finds a friend, have your child invite her friend over after school or on the weekend for a two-hour play date. Plan an activity such as baking cookies or making a craft where you're overseeing the project and making sure their time together goes well.

Another approach is to talk to your child about signing up for Brownies or Camp Fire Girls. In such a group there's always an activity or purpose for the girls to get together with the opportunity for friendships to develop.

you might want to check out this site too http://www.parents.com/big-kids/socializing/social-growth/my-grade-schooler-is-a-loner/
    Hope this helps! :O)
    Littlem72

Answer by Littlem72 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• It is definitly a problem-she has social skills that she can't over come by herself-she obviously feels comfortable enough to play with people she knows but she feels uncomfortable around other kids who she doesn't connect with. I would try meeting parents of other kids in her class and setting play dates or get her into activites where she can meet other children.
    cutietootie97

Answer by cutietootie97 at 9:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• my first point would be to talk to her about it to see if anything has upset her, if nothing came of that i would also set up some play dates with a child frfom her school that she does talk about, if she doesnt talk about any maybe have a word with the teacher to see if their is any child she like to sit with or talk to, in the classroom
    sammy04k

Answer by sammy04k at 10:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Maybe shes a little shy. I used to be shy and I would find kids my age a little more threatening than younger kids. Many of the kids my age just seemed so "cool" and "together" while I felt akward. Maybe classes which can boost her confidence will help. Find out what she's interested in or if shes good at anything. Excelling in sports or arts can boost confidence and she may even make friends while shes at it.
    Eliza34

Answer by Eliza34 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i dont think its a problem to play by yourself,but i would try and find out if something is bothering her about the other children.sometimes kids that age have other problems that they dont like talking about. you never know unless you asked. she might feel alittle uncomfortable with those kids. i would encourage some play dates on a one to one and see if it helps.
    cusina48

Answer by cusina48 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Hello,
    This may just be her personality that's where shy people come from. My daughter is 27 now and she always was shy.
    Michelle
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 11:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• best answer?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I was a "loner" when I was younger too. Everyone thought there was something wrong and always asked me why I didn't play with other kids and I just didn't want to. This could be the case or your child might not feel comfortable. I would ask how she feels about the other kids.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2008