This came up in another question... Does your church (or religious establishment) charge money...

To preform Funerals? What about marriages? Or does it ask for donations in return?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As I stated in the other post, My grandfather left most of his estate to the Church when he died. But we were still required to pay for the service. We also had to pay the funeral home but that was seperate... and then we had to pay a rental fee to have his wake in the basement of his church, which was what his mother wanted...

They (my Grandfather and his parents) were all very strict Roman Catholic, they went to mass every day and were even given a key at one point for the days they arived before the nuns... So, it was important to him that this was where he had his final good bye, and so that's what we did.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My church doesn't charge for either if you're a church member (or even just attend, LOL). Now, for total strangers off the street, they do charge for the use of the sanctuary and fellowship hall, but it's not much - only like $50 total for the sanctuary and $25 and hour for the fellowship hall.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My church does not charge members for funerals or marriages, although you could give a donation if you would like for these services. They do charge non-members, although I am uncertain as to the exact fee. They also do not charge tuitition for the K-12 school associated with the church, the only fee is for books and necessary school supplies. You do have to supply your child's own breakfast and/or lunch as well.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 10:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• We pay only a donation and several times the wake and funeral was at the church. I am sure there is a fee of $150 (which is what it is for weddings) for the hall if we want a meal after. The marriage we paid $50 (not required) to the priest at a baptism we sometimes gave $20 but one time the priest refused it. Confirmation and first communion there are so many other kids I never thought to offer a donation to the priest. I will now, but my other children weren't refused the sacraments after I didn't leave a donation for the first one so I am guessing it not required.

As for if you are not a member, I am not sure they will do a marriage unless either the brid or groom is Catholic or a funeral if the persona isn't Catholic. I am not sure what the cost would be if you are not a member of that particular parish.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 11:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• *bride* not brid l
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• and i was the above anon--i keep hitting the anon button before answer question
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 11:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Our church doesn't charge anything for funerals or weddings. We do not ask for donations. Every once in a while someon will give my DH a donation or a gift card, but it is not at all necessary (they are just being nice).

BTW, my DH is one of the ministers at our church that officiates these services.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• nope!
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 12:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I know we offered a donation for our wedding, but the church my grandmother attended (my home church) doesn't believe in a paid clergy either. They all work other jobs and the church is a calling for them.
    Anonymous

• A few Catholic churches may ask for a donation to use the church - which makes sense since there is a morgage and utilities and other costs for maintaining the building. But if there is a big financial hardship such things would be waved. It is never the case that a person is unable to be married in a Catholic Church because of finances. They may not be able to have as huge of a wedding with all the flowers and musicians and the like that they want - but to have the priest witness the vows you make in the church doesn't cost much at all. And afterall, the main focus should be on the actual marriage and not so much on the wedding ceremony.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2009