If you 'play' tooth fairy how much money do you leave under the pillow?

My daughter lost a tooth and put it under her pillow. We left $5 because we did not have $1. (I got 25 cent when I was small) She showed me her money and was excited. Then she said well when I was at my dads the tooth fairy left me $20, I don't understand. I said I don't understand either.

$20? Really? Am I missing something or is this the new norm? Maybe he left it because he didn't have change?

How much money do you/ did you leave? How much money did you get when you were younger?

jridgill

Asked by jridgill at 10:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is what we have done. The very first tooth gets $50.00. Then we start depreciating, $25.00 for the next, $20.00 for the next two...Until we get down to 5.00. Now they each get $5..00 and a small gift (toy, book, art supplies, dress, doll) from here on out...
    YuppyMom

Answer by YuppyMom at 10:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i used to get anything between .25 and $20 lol. i guess it depended on what my parents had (they were married so it just varied between them)

maybe your daughters dad is trying to compete against you or something?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON YOUR BUDGET, BUT I USE TO LEAVE 20 DOLLAR BILLS TOO WHEN I COULD, BUT THEY WERE SATISFIED WITH ANYTHING THAT WAS LEFT, NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT BEING TOO LITTLE. THE TOOTHFAIRY DID NOT LEAVE ME MUCH, BUT IT WAS THRILLING JUST THE SAME.

Answer by older at 10:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• 50 dollars for a freaking tooth. You guys must have nothing better to do with your money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• They only lose the first one once. I feel no guilt about what we give our kids :)
    YuppyMom

Answer by YuppyMom at 10:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Mine get $1 no matter what tooth it is. I have 4 kids and 3 of them are losing teeth at the same time. In fact my 3rd child lost her first tooth last June at the age of 5 1/2. With in 10 days she had lost 2, her brother had lost 3 more teeth and my oldest daughter had lost 2. That was SEVEN! teeth in a week. It was insane. I was scrambling to find money for them all since we don't usually keep cash on hand and I had already used all our quarters for other teeth.

When I was a kid we got between $1 and $5 depending on what my dad had. My brother once got a $20 because my dad didn't look close enough at the bill, lol. By then I no longer believed in the tooth fairy so I was a little miffed but my dad slipped me a $20 for spending cash when my brother wasn't looking because he felt bad.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Personally, I would never do this... But I have friends that do. My one friend has a nice tradition... Her kids get Silver dollars. Because only so many are minted each year they will go up in value, so when the kids are older they will have a small collection to keep or sell or pass on... And it's something special to the kids because they don't get that stuff in normal every day life. Then for their last tooth they get $20 to spend on what ever they want... I have another friend that gives her kids $10 each tooth and $50 for the last one. Personally I think the going rate for a tooth should be about a quarter to a dollar... maybe $5 for the last... But, whatever...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• $50 bucks, REALLY? Kids would really be happy with a dollar. There are a lot of better things to do with money than to give it to a kid for a tooth....like pay bills or pay off debt. If the child is really wanting something, then that dollar could be used to save up for it!
    MontessoriMo226

Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My grrls get a QUARTER per tooth- so if it is her 7th tooth lost- she gets $1.75... plus they used to watch Charlie and Lola a lot and so got the idea that the Tooth Fairy also brings a *trinket* for example a lip balm or pretty rock or bracelet...

I like the silver dollar idea too.. but mine would lose or spend it...lol

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• we have 6 children and 3 of them are at the loosing teeth stage so we give $2...that is exciting to them..they are happy with it.
    stacy2607

Answer by stacy2607 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2009