"I've never seen a compelling argument from the other side."

This is a quote from a Cafemom user from a thread that I read through sometime ago.

Don't you think that statements like this destroy a person's credibility? How can you say that there is not one thing a person has said, wether you agree or not, that didn't at least get you thinking. How can you not even concede that a person of an opposing view has at least made a good point? It doesn't mean that they've changed your mind or that you are all of a sudden blue as the sky when you used to be red.

I think it shows ignorance to say that the other side has never even made a point and it doesn't do much for that "respectful debate" you're always looking for.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well it's silly to say that you've never seen a compelling argument on the other side. That's WHY there is an active debate! If there were no compelling arguments then it would just be a matter of fact.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Someone has an ax to grind. Why start a whole thread to attempt a call out?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I haven't either on some topics.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Maybe they should have said, to be more accurate, "I've never seen a compelling argument from a Lib on CM." Maybe?................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

What exactly is a call out.

Are you this seriuos about other things in your life?

Drama?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It is possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It's not a call out post at all. I've left the person's name out of it. The statement reflects the way a lot of people behave in this section - on BOTH SIDES of the issues.

If you've ever been in a real debate you'd know that conceding a point is part of making a winning argument.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Huh?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Grace, I mean that the OP has an ax to grind with the quoted CM, why not just call her out? It's against TOS, so OP is trying to be cryptic and sneaky. The whole thing is stupid. If OP is so comfortable with her opinions and thoughts, why care what other CM's think?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• ...and then there are people like Grace, that are not interested in respectful debate. She just wants to draw the line in the sand more firmly and throw he little rocks over it.
    Anonymous