How do you cut corners/make chores easier?

It seems every day my home needs more of my attention and every day I have less time to give it. There's no way on earth I can be perfectionistic anymore--so I'm looking for ways to make chores easier.

A couple things I'm trying:

*I do one load of laundry each day, focusing on the most needful outfits/linens.

*When I'm folding laundry, I start with the biggest things so that it feels like I'm folding faster.

*I wipe my sink out while I'm washing my hands

*I don't tuck my flat sheet in the end (we don't like it tucked in at night, and end up pulling it out with our feet anyways); I fold the end up like some might fold the top down, and let my over-size blanket cover it all.

What do you do to save time, cut corners, and make household chores less...choreish?

MamaLydia

Asked by MamaLydia at 10:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• This site has great tips...
    www.FlyLady.net

One thing I've learned from there is that a tiny bit of cleaning every day makes a huge difference. For example, a quick, simple wipe down in the morning after you get dressed keeps the bathroom clean - without half an hour of scrubbing. A little bit each time is much easier than trying to "clean the house" in one go. And a little bit at a time is much more than "I'm too overwhelmed, I don't know where to start, maybe tomorrow".
    The biggest trick is to develop a routine, a habit. You already have some habits that you do every morning as part of getting up for the day. You just add a few things to your morning routine until they are a daily habit. You do the same thing with afternoon and before bedtime - adding things a little at a time so you don't get overwhelmed and remembering that a little bit of less than perfect is better than nothing that isn't 100% perfect.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Oh, by the way, I have an 11 week old baby that still eats every 2 hours, and is sleeping a little less every day! :)
    MamaLydia

Answer by MamaLydia at 10:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Execpt for doing the dishes and making my bed..I only clean one room (really good) a day. Makes life a lot easier. I lonely wash cloths once a week.

Answer by louise2 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I made myself a schedule of when to do chores. I have them all written out on a calender so I can keep everything straight otherwise something gets missed for a couple of months until my SO asks about it. I have things on there like vacum furniture twice a month, mop the floor once a week, clean bathroom top to bottom once a week, etc. This jsut helps to keep my head straight but I have the same feelings of there are way too many things to do around the house & not enough time!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• mel-
    So you just keep a separate wall calendar for household chores or something?
    MamaLydia

Answer by MamaLydia at 12:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I love the swiffer for quick clean ups, but I had run out of the "pads", I stuck on a max-pad.... and well.. it works great, more absorbent . Husband thought I was insane...actually it is the same thing that they charge so much for so why not? I also take one room a day to cleanand organize. My sister in law is a pro housecleaner and her secret weapon is windex... it works great around base boards, especially in the kitchen, just spray, wait five minutes... and all the gunk will come up.
    tangereen

Answer by tangereen at 12:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• As I don't have a dishwasher, I rinse dishes really well first, then I stack them neatly and run straight hot water on them with dish soap. Then about two hours later, I mostly just have to rinse them off. Use baking soda to clean grease off just about everything easily. Love the stuff.

Find all of your problem spots and get rid of them. I learned to put a candy dish on the dining room table with a tablecloth, my kids are reluctant to put things on there if its "dressed" up. LOl
    We also had a half table attached to the wall in our kitchen, from the previous owner. I assume they used it like a counter, as our kitchen is small. We tended to have it pile up with junk, so we got rid of it. Scrubbing Bubbles for the tub, and Clorox wipes for the bathroom.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• tangereen-
    I think I've heard of that somewhere, I just never tried it. I do have a swiffer, but I bought the off brand pads to go with it. I love it for my wood floors! :)

Lesli-
    I love the dressing up idea, I hadn't thought of that! And I adore Clorox wipes. That's how I got through every room check in college. :)
    MamaLydia

Answer by MamaLydia at 1:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Clorox wipes. Spot mopping daily and deep clean mopping once a week. I only dry pants and dress shirts for 15 minutes then hang to avoid ironing.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 3:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009