Can you give me some party ideas?

So, this is our first summer in our new house in the suburbs and my son's 4th birthday is next month. I am planning to throw a party for him in the back yard, which is really big, but I don't want a bunch of kids running around creating chaos. I would like to have some sort of plan or activitieas for them to do. Do you have any ideas? It would be so helpful. Thanks in advance.

PassionateMom

Asked by PassionateMom at 10:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know. I planned my nephew's 5th birthday party. I had all of these games set up outside for them to play, but they just ran around like a pack of wild children instead! I hope it works out for you but I am the WRONG person to answer! LOL!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Yea, it doesnt matter how organized your party is, you will always have a bunch of kids running around! LOL Its a kids party...trust me I tried to have a nice calm party inside my house, bad idea.....talk about chaos! Good Luck!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Bounce house :D Cupcake decorating contest.water activities for after the cupcake contest...

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'm afraid that chaos will be apart of the game. One thing u can do is buy one or two bouncy's for them to jump around in. Its cheaper to just buy them rather then rent them & afterwards you'll have them for future events or just for your own kids to play in. I would say a good sized one may run you around $200 for one that is big enough but cheapish. Just look them up on google shopping you'll find all kinds.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• You could try setting up carnival type games with small prizes. It MIGHT keep them from going crazy.

I did an Army theme birthday party for my daughter when she turned 6. I set up obstacle courses and spent several hours filling water balloons. The water balloons were ALL gone in about 30 seconds and I had a bunch of wild kids on my hands. The only game that I planned that actually happened was I offered a prize for the kid who could pick up the most broken water balloons.

Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• When my DD turned 6, I threw a huge B-Day party for her and, like you, did not want a bunch of crazy kids. So what I did was invite FAMILIES. We had about 30 people there ranging in age from 4 months to 60. All of the children had parents with them. It also allowed me to invite some single friends who did not have children yet & grandparent types whose children were grown. I planned out party games--three legged race, balloon toss, various relay races--and all the adults who were able participated with the children. Plus, I changed the rules for each game. Like, one three legged race with adult & child (hilarious), one was kids vs. adults, that sort of thing. Then we had a taco feast & a pinata to finish. Everyone had fun & the kids were relatively well behaved b/c each parent took responsibility for their own. It was one of the best birthday parties I have ever thrown. Good luck to you.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2009