JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES QUESTION: Cult or Christian?

I am struggling with finding "true religion". I'm not even sure if its religion I'm looking for. I myself love God, I really do. However, I don't consider myself christian because I do not go to church or strive to live life according to christian beliefs. I'm just not ready yet. My bf & his family are jehovah's witnesses. Since being with my bf, I have been exposed to many of their beliefs. A lot of it just doesn't seem right. They contradict a lot of what the bible says. They also have what's called a watchtower society which is a jehovah's witness magazine in which they use along with their "own jehovah's witnesses bibles" to interpret the bible. They have many rules & regulations within their group too. They claim they know "the truth" but my dad is a bonified christian man & from what he tells me of non-denominational christians, it makes much more sense than what I've been told from jehovah's witnesses. Any thoughts??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My dd just broke up with her bf of 4 years, his family was JW, I now alittle about it. But I don't judge them. I believe every single person has to find the truth for themselves, just keep doing your research, read everything you can get your hands on, you've got the believe in God, so He'll lead you from there. This is totally my opinion, but I think the reason there are so many different beliefs is that each person has to find the one they "fit" in, where they feel comfortable. I don't believe God will "punish" you for differences in doctrine. Good luck on your search.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• A relationship with your diety of choice is most important. Religion is a means to convey "rules" and "regulations" and also to have a community feeling.

As for the JW's, I think its as much a cult as all christian religions could be considered. By the very definition most religions fall under a cult status.

Now, personally, I dont care for the JW's but thats from dealing with them directly and such. Their doctrine isnt my cup of tea but neither is much of what christians teach either...hence why Im not one anymore.

Follow your heart, write down what you do believe and go from there. You dont have to have a label to love the Divine.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• there teachings are false. talk to your dad some more. if u've accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior... and have repented of your sins then u're a Christian. If not that can be changed by accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior and repenting of your sins. Next look for a bible teaching church. Most non-denoms are more casual.. not caught up in how u dress etc so try that out.

Also, don't look for "religion" but a relationship with Jesus Christ.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• If it isn't from the Bible it's bogus. Simple as that. Read Revalations 22 verses 18-19. This is not the only place where we are warned not to add nor take away from what is written. The Book of Mormon, The Koran, The Urantia book, are all examples of adding to the Bible. They are quite seductive in how they draw you in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Yes, pleanty... First off, their bible has actually won awards for being the most accurate translation. So yes, it's different, but it's the closest to the actual writings as you will get. The watchtower society is like the Catholic Vatacan, they do the research and produce all the learning tools (books, videos, magasines) that they JWs use. I'm not sure what you think they do that contradicts the bible, but I can tell you that their beliefs ALL come from the bible itself. Even their "tools" are used simply to help them each understand the bible better, not to discredit or disproove any of it. They do have rules and regulations but that is because they do not want to be part of the world around them. They believe that God's kingdom should be the only kingdom and to be an active part of the world which does not follow his laws would counteract that belief...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I am not JW, I can't imagine ever even being Christian, but if I were ever to become Christian I would only be JW. They follow their bible to a T... And do everything they can to live their lives as close to the way Jesus would have. That doesn't usually make them to popular, but that's okay. I see it this way, if you going to be Christian, be a real Christian, not one that lives by the parts of the bible you like, but by all of it! That's what they try to do...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I think they are a cult they are so wrapped up in there own bs they have to confuse everyone else with there drama.

anyone that is a JW no offense just my opinion
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• If it doesn't seem right to you, it's not right for you.

Research.
    Start here: www.beliefnet.com Great site with basic, unbiased information on virtually ALL religions. Even has a "belief-o-matic" --- a fun little tool which might narrow down your search.

Once you've got it down to a few possibilities, get a library card & use it! LOL

You've got to find what speaks to your heart --- not what other people are trying to convince you is "the truth".
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'm not going to comment on whether I think it's a cult. I think there is a lot of false doctrine taught and I don't agree with many of their teachings.

Read your Bible and learn about times past. Get yourself a good Bible commentary so you can look scripture up verse by verse to help you understand what was meant.

The only thing that saves us is Jesus...not rules and regulations or traditions.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• TY all for your respectful views on my religion.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2009