This is a question for mom's who have kids that have already been through kindergarten.

First I was wondering how long did you wake your child up before they had to be at school? My daughter will be starting kindergarten in less than a month, and I was wanting to know what time I should get her up. She has to be there at 7:40, so I figure get her up at 6 or 6:15. We will leave the house about 7:15 or 7:20. Do you think an hour will be enough time. We are going to pick clothes out the night before. My second question is about breakfast. She has never been a big breakfast eater, so her dr. suggested we do Pediasure in the mornings. Well she has been drinking them in the mornings for about 2 years. They fill her up and they are a meal replacement, and she usually doesn't get hungry until about 4 hours after drinking 1. I am worried it won't be enough though, but I also know getting her to eat breakfast will be a huge fight every morning. Do ya'll think the Pediasure will be enough? They do get snacks mid morning.

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 10:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 3rd child just finished kindergarten. They have to be to school by 7:50am and we leave the house at 7:35am to walk to school. So I started out by waking the kids at 7am. That gave them plenty of time to eat a bowl of cereal and get dressed. By the end of the last year they were getting up at 6am on their own so they could watch TV (I still slept until 6:30 or 6:45). Most of the time even getting up at 7am they had too much time on their hands and would be wandering around the house wanting to know if it was time to leave yet.
    Our kindergarten also has snack time soon after getting to school so there was never an issue of her being hungry.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My granddaughter just finished kinder. They begin at 7:20. She has to be up no later than 6. She leaves for school at 7:10. Our school does not do morning snack. They have snack about 1pm. Class is out at 2:30. They eat lunch at 10;45 in the morning. I think pediasure will be fine. Think outside the box for picky morning eaters. My youngest son was like that. When I realized he WOULD eat if the right things were around it made life a lot easier. He loved mac n cheese, leftover spaghetti or chicken. Who cares what other parents say..as long as they are intaking something that isn't empty sugar calories..let them eat.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My oldest is in 3rd grade this yr, my youngest will be in Kindergarten. I found that getting my oldest up about 45 minutes to an hour before we had to leave worked pretty well for him. With both of them now in school, I will probably tack on an extra 15 minutes, just to be sure. Mine are not big on breakfast right when they get up. Our school district provides free breakfast to all students, so that worked well for us. Lunch was usually, in Kindergarten, pretty late (they went last), around 12 or 12:30, depending on whose class they were in, and school starts at 7:45, so they had a midmorning snack.

I would say try her on the pediasure for a couple of days and see how she does. If she complains of being hungry, or the teacher mentions that she seems to be hungry, then you know she needs something more. If she does well with it, then go with it. Do what's best for her, not what everyone else says you should do.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Pediaure is really high in sugar; I am stunned that a doctor would consider this to be an appropriate breakfast. No, I guess that I'm not stunned; doctors tend to know very little about nutrition.

You need to make sure that your daughter has an early dinner (finish by 6) and does not eat anything after dinner.
    I would go with portable breakfasts to eat while you walk to school: a whole wheat tortilla with peanut butter, banana and granola; whole grain toast with a veggie omlette and a piece of cheese; etc.; you can make morning glory muffins (made with carrots, raisins and whole wheat flour), I have a great recipe; whole grain waffles with peanut butter and banana; etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My son just finished K-4, so not the same but...he doesn't do breakfast much that early either. I found that a pedisure and a granola bar or poptart in the car was about all he would do.
    P.S I found that the carnation Instant breakfast was a lot less $$ and he loved them just the same.
    His school went by age on the lunch schedule so the younger ones ate lunch pretty early, so he was hungry when he got home from school more than he was in the morning or at school. GL
    Anonymous

• My daugher wasn't a breakfast eater either. But because she was starting school I wanted food in her because she does get hungry early plus it is good for them to have food in their bodies. Anyways we had a little container we used for her milk and she ended up making her own breakfast every morning. It was cereal and not much but she did it herself which made her want to eat it, now she is so used to eating in the morning that she gets up by 7 am everyday (YES DDURING SUMMER) to eat breakfast.
    Anonymous

• 7:40 for K? Yikes! Ours had to be to school by 9. He would get up at 7:30, have a half hour for breakfast that I already had prepared, me having got up at 7, he would then have time for teeth brushing, getting dressed, and having his hair combed so we could leave about 8:35. Breakfast for him consisted of cereal, a fruit, and some yogurt or a piece of toast, and juice. ..If he didn't finish on time because he spent the whole time talking, he knew he was out of luck and had to go to school hungry (only happened once or twice). I'm not fully for pediasure as opposed to actual healthy foods, but hey, it's your kid so you can choose what you prefer.

We are homeschooling next year. No need to hurry! Yay.
    Anonymous

• I think its a learning situation. Pick when you think they should and then see how they act. See if they do okay waking up later and having a quick breakfast or if they need to get up earlier to slowly start their day. In the case of the second one, you need to make their bedtime sooner to make up for waking earlier.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 7:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Thanks Ladies. I will probably try the Pediasure for the first couple of days, because she is already not to thrilled with kindergarten so I don't want to make it harder. This way if she gets hungry she will know it. I will probably try the whole wheat tortilla with something, or whole wheat toast and oatmeal. I just worry because the thought of her being hungry bothers me. OH also thanks for the Carnation Instant Breakfast tip, Pediasures can be expensive.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2009