Regardless of your political views...

When you visit DC do you get goose bumps? I LOVE visiting the city of our capitol. Even when I am not in agreement with our leadership, I still get goose bumps to walk through our history in such a way. The WWII memorial is so beautiful and it makes me cry to think of my Grandfather and how proud he was to visit it when it first opened. He pointed out the engraved battles that he was in for us to see. The Vietnam Memorial is so sad, and I get completely welled up with love of country when I visit the Lincoln Monument. Not to mention all of the free museums!

Don't you just LOVE DC?

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 10:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. I love DC. We used to live near Jamestown/Williamsburg and I got the same way when we would go there.
    To be honest, the first time I drove from east coast to west coast and when we got to the Badlands.. WOW.. To think the journey people made in horse drawn carriages to move their family. Truly amazing. Inspiring. God Bless America.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Never been. But I do know what you mean when you visit a place rich in history.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Quinn, you'd love it if you ever get the chance. I've seen you post here a lot, anyone who enjoys politics would just love being there. It doesn't matter if you like the current president or not, it is so inspiring.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Yesssss, I've been twice in my life and I can't wait to go back when my daughter is older. My fiance has never been! The Smithsonian is my favorite place ever. I could get lost in all the different museums. I'm such a history nerd. My dad is going with my stepmom and little brother this year, and it pains me that I can't go with them because I can't afford it and I have a baby. :(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I love the history of DC Boston and Philly.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I went on an NJROTC field trip in high school, and we did one of our hoo-rah motivation chant thingies right outside the Lincoln Memorial. All these people from all over the world saw us do it, and they clapped and cheered afterwards. Talk about goosebumps! It was awesome.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Cait, we're going at the end of the month and we're taking my 5 year-old nephew. I can't wait to bring him there! I think he's really going to love the Air and Space Museum and the Spy Museum.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Live right next to it and go a few times a year. As a matter of fact my husband and I will be spending our anniversary weekend this year there and taking advantage of all of the historical, scientific, artistic landmarks they have all for FREE. Not to mention they have some awesome dining places - the Capital Grill is one of my favorite places to have an elegant dinner with my husband while spying on politicans and other local big wigs; the view is awesome too.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Oh that is neat Cait! I always get a little miffed about the kids screaming and playing around at the Lincoln Monument because you're supposed to be respectfully silent, but that sounds very appropriate! It must have been great :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:05 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Carpy - we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Boston. We go every year and the learning never stops! Philly I know is full of history but I can't stand that city.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 8, 2009