What kind of daycare do you recommend for an 8 week old?

I only can take 8 weeks off of work, so I will have to put our daughter in daycare. We have visted a few places, but have to decide soon as they are filling up quick. We were looking at larger daycares, more school oriented ones with teachers, for when she gets a little older, but I've heard from other parents that inhome daycare is the best for infants. What do you mommies recommend?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• definitly daycare centers. you can find great inhome places for infants but there is much more accountability at the centers. they just feel safer to me. plus at centers its just infants with infants and you don't have to worry about older kids with your infant.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 11:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• There are pros and cons to each. The germ ratio increases drastically in a center so chances of her getting sick and you having to take off work increases. Whereas, like Katiep said, there is more accountability in the centers. Personally I liked inhome care. I used both center and inhome and inhome made me feel more comfortable but I knew the person and trusted her. You might have a nanny cam going if you don't know the person just so you have peace of mind if you choose in home.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I was a nanny for 8 years..

IMO if you can afford in home daycare that is the route I would take..

I feel when a child is that young, one on one is what they need. As the child grows, then maybe a daycare environment would be good. I taught my boys (when I was a nanny) everything if not more when they were with me...

We did stuff with other children and they learned just as much if not more by me..

Good luck..

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• IMO if you have a relative that would be willing to keep your baby during the day for a fee, I'd go with that. I taught preschool for 3 years in a day care facility, and I watched many babies be neglected. Sometimes the workers are only there to make money and could care less if the baby is crying, sick, hungry , whatever. I finally couldn't take watching this anymore and left.
    The state would come in regularly to do inspections, but the owner always knew ahead of time when they were coming, and would warn the nursery workers to be on alert.

Even though I worked in the 3 year old classroom, I had an infant at the time, and I found her a Safe home daycare to stay at instead of taking her there. Not all daycare centers are like this one, but be very careful!!!! Make sure there is an open door policy so you can make "surprise" visits now and then to ensure everything is going well. Look for signs of neglect by the worker
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• such as very frequent diaper rashes, more irritablity than normal, excessive crying when you take the baby in the mornings. Also, make sure you send a schedule that you want followed by the nursery workers. Sometimes, they would just change the babies 2 times a day -all at the same time. When I found this out, I was horrified !!!! Do your homework on any place you send your baby. Make sure to get recommendations from other parents, and no matter how "nice" the owner/operator seems, be very cautious....
    The final straw for me (after I found out the other things that were going on), is when a worker , who was a teenager, got impatient with an older baby and picked him up by one arm and one leg and threw him into a crib. Literally, threw him. I reported this to the local authorities, told the owner that I would not watch children being abused for another second, and walked out. Last I heard, noone ever told the mother of
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• this incident. Had I known what was going on sooner, I would have reported it sooner. We were in an almost school like building, so where my classroom of 3 and 4 year olds were at was very far from where the nursery was at. Everyone down that end were very hush hush about what was going on.
    JUST BE CAREFUL and GOOD LUCK
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I put my son in day care at 7 months and at first I really wanted an actual day care facility but ended up with a home day care because it was $200/week cheaper!! But now I think I prefer in home day care for infants. It's smaller with less kids which means your baby will get more attention, plus they have the comfort of a home and not a "school". My son's day care provider has 6 kids of her own and absolutely loves the kids she watches and my son loves her too! When he gets to preschool age he will obviously be in a school but right now I think he's too young for an actual structured education plan which a lot of day care facilities have for their infants! I mean it's good to work with them but he has 18+ years of school ahead of him so I don't think he needs all that yet, right now he just needs to grow and learn at his own pace.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I sent my DD to a church daycare (technically a Jewish daycare) center at 10 wks. old. She loves it! She's only been sick twice and even then it was just very mild colds. I was worried she wouldn't get enough attn. but she is the youngest and is always being held or played with. She is a very social baby so she loves being around all the other babies and the two workers. This is a very good center mind you and we pay nearly $900/mos. Both of the women in the infant room have been at the center for 15+ yrs. We knew a couple ppl. who sent their kids there and my DH actually went to preschool there when he was a kid. My in-laws are members of the congregation so it was a no-brainer for us.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2009