Dumb Question!!

My question is i have a 8 month son who's not been finishing his bottles lately i'm just wondering if this is normal and if so what should i do? He acts like hes full but hes not getting the correct amount of ounces that the doctors say he should have in a day. One more thing when have most of you taken your kids off formula and have switch them to milk?

Crystal102608

Asked by Crystal102608 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't make the switch til he was one year old!

Try giving him smaller portions, more frequently during the day :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• So who knows his tummy and "full signals" better... him or the doctor? As long as you aren't under orders to force him to gain weight, listen when he tells you that he's full.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My pedi said about a year. Most babies cut down their amount of liquids when they start eating solids. If you can offer an 8 oz bottle before feeding you may get him to drink more. Give the food afterwards. 3 bottles a day is 24 oz and while that is the minimum recommended it's a good start. I used to give mine cereal with formula or milk every morning. That was an extra couple of ounces there. If you can squeeze in 4 more ounces at bedtime you are good to go. Hope it helps.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my dr told me that babies doing that is very normal, they go through growing stages and sometimes they want more than usual and sometimes they want less, i mean do YOU always want the same exact ammount of dinner ?? but as long as hes still active and not losing weight i wouldn't worry about it ...
    and we started my daughter on sips of regular milk at around 10 months to rule out allergy, and she was compleatly off of formula like a week before her birthday, same w/ bottles in general, she had her very last bottle the night of her birthday and she couldn't have cared less lol
    kayleighsmom_07

Answer by kayleighsmom_07 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• How much he eats is up to him, not the doctor. My son never ate the "right" amount, but he's very healthy.

We made the switch from formula to milk at 10 months old. He started refusing the formula.
    MommyMeli07

Answer by MommyMeli07 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• it's summer. Sometimes in summer ppl (even little ones) don't eat as much. He's probably fine. If not, he'll let you know he's hungry again

Answer by admckenzie at 11:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Do not give him regular milk until he is at least one year old....
    Maybe he is just going through a stage and isn't as hungry. With the hotter weather, it could cause him to lose a bit of his appetite. Also, maybe his tummy is feeling "funny" to him. Since he is so young, he can't tell you if he feels different or full. Go with his cues a day or two more, and if things don't change, it wouldn't hurt to ask the pediatrician.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2009