best friend or not??????

I have been bestfriends with a gilr since we were in Jr. High. I hate to ruin a 15 year friendship but I can barely stand to talk to her recently. She knows because of the economy we are having $$ issues. On a daily basis she rubs it in my face how much $$ her hubby brought home. And how much $$ her mom has to take her on vacation. She consantly talks about how her first grade daughter is reading at a 6th grade level and the school is talking about starting special classes for her! Her kids are brats and I cant stand to be around them. Her daughter constantly lies, at church functons she is always in trouble. The last church function she was telling everyone how much she hates her parents and yes she is in first grade. I had other chaperones asking me if she was always like that and how I can stand to be around her. I just dont know how to handle this situation with out ruining a 15 year long friendship.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• wow. i would maybe start spending less time with her, or have a talk with her about how she hurts your feelings. don't say anything about how her kids act- no mother likes to hear about that stuff, even if her daughter is being a real brat. i would definitely keep my kids away from hers though if that's how they are. sorry you're going through this. that's a toughie.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would avoid her like the plague.  Until she got the picture I did not want to be her friend.

Answer by louise2 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• You cannot deal with it without ruining your friendship. If you cannot stand to be around her or her children what type of realation ship can you have? I have been in situations where I told of my accomplishments or if I got money or some thing good that has happened in my life and others thought I was bragging but I was just sharing good news. If you have known her for 15 years has she always been like this? If so you should know if she is really bragging or just sharing with you. Maybe you have some things you need to deal with.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• The one thing I have noticed about people who brag about their great lives is that they are jealous of something. Maybe she is jealous that your kids behave or that you and your SO are really close. Maybe she is jealous because you are happy in the situation that you are in. It is amazing when people have everything they want and they are still not happy. You might want to try and talk about her personal life when you two have some time alone. If she keeps trying to make you feel bad then you need to back away from her, but let her know that you are there with an ear.  I hope, for your skae, she will learn to treat you with respect.  Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• just take a break from her for a while

Answer by admckenzie at 11:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I think you've answered your own question. If you really don't like being around her anymore, then don't be. Either she'll get the point and change her ways, or she'll get the point and could care less. Either way, I don't think you've lost much. Friendships come and go, but you need someone who is as considerate about your feelings as you are about theirs.
    Obviously, you've outgrown this friendship. Don't feel guilty...it happens to the best of us.....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• since you are in church, the first thing would be to pray on it...God will reveal the real reason you are having an issue with your freind. You may find out that it goes much deeper than what you see it to be...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i agree with rest. and if her 1st grade daughter lies.... she gets that from somewhere.... and as being in 1st grade and having a 6th grade reading level. thats really rare and hard to belive..... and as losing a friend.. only thing i can say is talk to her tell her how you feel she may get mad, and not want to be your friend anymore, .. i tell my bf how i feel, and vise a versa. your the only one that can know for sure how she will take it. even if you take brake from her evuntully you will have to face fact. and tell her how you feel
    twistedcandy

Answer by twistedcandy at 1:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2009