How do you deal with mosquitoes?

My mom's house has a big backyard, and with all the rain we've had in New England this spring/summer, she's nervous about the mosquitoes. We used to have a "bug zapper" when we were kids. What are people using now against mosquitoes?

happymama

Asked by happymama at 11:33 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Do not go out in the early mornings or evenings..I just stay in the house.We have A/C.

Answer by louise2 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I use bug repellant with DEET and I wash it off or shower after I am done outside.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Before buying or selling any body care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). www.ewg.org
    We use a product called Buzz Away by Quantum; it is citronella based and relatively safe.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• You could use a bug zapper, also the Glade insect repellent candles work VERY well! Preventative care also, such as not leaving stagnant water sitting (breeds mosquito eggs). Also you could wear bug spray (but who wants those chemicals on their skin?). I've found that cranberry body spray is a GREAT bug repellent, especially for mosquitoes!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• skin so soft from avon works well the oil type... was also told that veg. oil take couple of drops and put in water suppose to kill them.... i tryed it kept them down.. but i have dogs so didn't know what veg. oil would do to them
    twistedcandy

Answer by twistedcandy at 1:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I just bought one of the OFF clip on fans. Haven't had to use it yet as the bugs haven't been too bad, knock on wood!
    bam920

Answer by bam920 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My mom read an e-mail that said Bounce dryer sheets work, so when we came home from her house, I noticed baby had dryer sheets stuffed in all her little pockets. I couldn't tell you if it worked, but my mom swears by it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Citronella candles lit in the area where you are sitting are also helpful. I also use the Avon Skin So Soft on skin....added benefit, no DEET.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 8:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• The Skin So Soft, Bounce sheets are all good. But we had this big party 1 year and my mother with her green thumb has almost an acre of land and we had about a 100 people there. We were in the yard pretty late and did not want any of our guest to be bitten by mosquitoes. So my mom had heard about a tip and we tried it out. It was the fragrance of lemon fresh joy dishwashing liquid. We had a lot of tables set up in the yard, so on each table we put a bowl with lemon fresh dishwashing liquid with a little water and made it decorative with a cut flower. And believe it or not, it worked. Not a soul was bitten and we had been out in the yard for about 10 hrs or so playing games and everything. And a tip for flies flying around at your barbeque is just bowls or pails or whatever is just plain water. Water is an deterrant.
    sweetmommadee

Answer by sweetmommadee at 1:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2009