Jury duty question?

I've never served jury duty before and I've been called to be a petit juror. If I'm even chosen once I get there, what kind of case would I be hearing? Also, I want to make sure I'm comfortable for the day. Would wearing flip-flops be out of the question?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Your jury duty notice probably has a website listed. I'd check there for details for your court.

As for clothes, generally you are asked to wear business casual. If you want to be extra casual, jeans, a nice t-shirt, and sneakers are OK. Shorts, tank tops, and flip flops would not be appropriate though no one will send you home for wearing any of those. Remember that the jury pool room is usually kept at a comfortable temp for people in business clothes - you might freeze if you wear too little.

Be sure to take a book or other project to work on. You may very well just sit in the jury pool all day and never be called into a courtroom. Needlepoint and knitting are not allowed since you might kill someone with the dangerous needles. Sad.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I crochet and I was thinking about bringing a project...are you kidding me? I wouldn't be allowed to bring it? UGH, this is going to suck, lol.
    Anonymous

• kaycee pretty much covered it. As to what kind of case, could be anything. Where I live, they often will be trying to fill juries for 3 or 4 different cases, so you could end up getting asked all kinds of questions that are totally unrelated, or about one kind of crime or whatever and then get a case that's got nothing to do with what they asked you.

Definitely don't wear flip flops, though. Although kaycee said they won't send you home, I know where I live people have been held in contempt for dressing inappropriately. Some judges can be real....hardas*es, and take it as a sign of disrespect toward them. I'd wear, at the very minimum, nice jeans, a nice t-shirt, and some dressy sandals or flats.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• oh, yeah, and on the crochet, needlepoint, etc. thing....yes, you can't do it. Make sure you also go thru your purse and take out any nail clippers, nail files, eyeglass screwdrivers, anything that could be considered a weapon. And make sure your cell phone is turned off.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• no flip flops are not acceptable in court. Don't piss the judge off. You may need him on your side one day and he'll remember how you disrespected his court!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I was once sent a notice to serve on jury duty and I got so excited. There was a little Q&A thing at the bottom and I had to answer yes to the committing a felony question. I was sent a letter telling me not to bother (in so many words). I was so sad!
    Anonymous

• I served on a jury once....wore the business casual as mentioned above and took a book. Hard to say what kind of trial you will be hearing, you just never do know until you get into it. Could literally be almost anything that you can think of. I was proud to serve, although it took 11 days. Murder is an ugly business for certain.
    Anonymous