how do i start weining my baby off nursing?

1stimemommy01

Asked by 1stimemommy01 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Easy...if you have a pump also to assist...if not, then just lessen the feedings from about 6 feedings to 5 or 4. Lessen the times feeding and the amount fed also. At this time, you will have to suppliment with something else, either formula (if the baby can't handle milk) or whole milk. Or, if this doesn't work, then feed more times (or pump) but do it for a shorter amount of time, as this will keep the amount made to a lower amount. I used the first technique with my first child and the second technique with my second child (breastfed over a year with both children). Oh, a word to the wise: if you don't want to get pregnant again while weaning...get on birth control or use condoms. When I was weaning my kids I got pregnant in the 2nd month of weaning (it generally takes 2-3 mo. to fully wean them without you killing yourself by breast engorgement).
    pruden5956

Answer by pruden5956 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Join the breastfeeding moms group theres a WHOLE sticky on weaning...it helps alot, cut only one feeding a week, seriously if you do it faster it can hurt you and mess up babies tummy. If baby is 12 months old when you get down to 3 nursings start replacing nursings with 4-6 oz of whole milk, if baby is under 12 months you need to replace the nursings with formula...thats based on age but 24-30 oz is a good range.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009