is this movement normal?

My 11 months old starts moving his arms (actually both arms like if he wants hit the air) when he is happy or wants something....is that normal? i talked with his early intervention teacher (he is preemie so his adjustment age is 9 months 1/2) and she said that the flapping hands that people talked is normally by the side of the body and he does in front of his body and also is hand flopping not the whole arm ...maybe i am not clear in the explanation b/c english is not my first language but i would love to have moms opinions....thank you so much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds normal. a lot of babies flap their arms up and down in the air when they are happy and excited about something.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My 11 month old does the same thing. He does it when he's excited or when he's just being weird. I don't think it's abnormal at all, just something he discovered he knows how to do. He also does this flicking motion with his wrist that makes him look like he's directing a symphony or something lol. As for what his teacher said, I think it might be a little weird to see a baby flapping his arms down by his side lol. But I wouldn't worry at all.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Hi, I work with young children 3 to 5 years of age. We have special needs children intergrated into our classroom. What you are describing is steming what you would find in autistic children. Rest assure though I see this in all children more so in boys. They do this when they are very excited about something. I see this alot when a group of children are playing a game together in a circle. One of the boys who has know form of autisum will began to flap and jump up and down. We do sometimes tell the children to relax when they are doing this because they are over stimulated. It's know big deal they are just really having fun.
    Anonymous