the parent on the playground with the cell phone?

at the park with my 5 year old daughter, 3 year old son and 2 year old nephew. my daughter made a friend who was there with her dad and her dad was there with his mobile device. the guy didn't look up the whole time. my daughter and the friend were on the monkey bars, my son and nephew decided to mimic the big kids and climb on top of the tunnel slide. i notice it, run over to them, demand the get off, as i'm spotting the nephew to get down my daughter demands help on the monkey bars, run over to her, get her down, rush back to try to coax my son off the slide tunnel and my daughter's new friend starts calling for me to help her. her father, mind you, is right there glued to his device. i say, "I'm sorry sweetie, i'm trying to get jake down from the slide, can your daddy help you." he ignores it, i focus back on my son, the girl falls, hurts herself and the dad yells at me. was i in the wrong? i didn't know what to say

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• You should have helped the little girl...as long as yours werent in immediate danger...not the kids fault the dad is glued to the devices...but he didnt have a right to yell @ you, after all the fault is his.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 12:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• so what were you doing that you son climbed on top of the tunnel slide? I guess we all look at things different!
    Anonymous

• aarrgg some people I swear...
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Dad was being a self absorb jerk. I couldn not ignore a child who asked me for help though. At minimum I would have called out directly to the Dad and sais "your daughter needs help and my hands are full" You didn't cause her to fall, but you might have prevented it.
    Anonymous

• You were not in the wrong and he should not have yelled at you. That was HIS daughter and she is supposed to be HIS responsibility. I think I would have told him directly that she needed help if I wasn't able to grab her right then though.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Anon 34, so you think it's ok that the guy just shrugged his parental responsibilities off on a complete stranger?
    Anonymous

• I would have helped the girl only if my own child wasn't in any danger, but it sounds like you were concerned your own child would fall?, that would have been my priority too. This dad had absolutely no right to yell at you. Me, i would have "ripped him a new one" if i got yelled at. I chat on my phone and text while my kids are playing (sometimes, not usually), but i always either follow them around or make sure i can see/hear them at all times. We are only responsible for our own. It's nice to help others in need, but it is not your responisbility just becasue you are there. If the dad was doing something important with his cell phone, he could have ASKED you to watch his kid for a few minutes only, but ultimately he is responsible for his own child.
    Anonymous

• Annon 34...read, she was obviously watching more than one child...and children explore and do what they see others do. It sounds as if SHE was being responsible and watching after her kids.

Anonymous

• The dad yelled at you? Thats rude. I can picture myself in your shoes...running from one child to another that needs help,worried one will get hurt. Man, I would have told that guy where to shove it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• You are not responsible and he acted like a jerk. He should have been helping you if anything.
    Anonymous