Do you think a disposable toilet plunger with refills and a protective sleeve to make sure the reusable handle isn't contaminated while plunging is a good idea?

I'm so sick of having to plunge my toilets ( sinks once in a while too) because of the remodel we did in our bathroom. We got rid of the large old toilet and had to purchase one of the new 1.6 metered water toilets (found out it's a government mandate and the only type available now) but with the thicker Charmin and the disposable toilet wipes, I'm plunging all the time and HOW DO YOU CLEAN THE NASTY, GERMY PLUNGER??? Tried double flushing but that doesn't get it clean. I've washed it in the bathtub but then I have to scour my tub. If you're plunging every other time, who has time for that? Storing it in a bucket of bleach is dangerous for the kids and the cat. Keeping it in a plastic bag in the garage, it isn't handy when you need it as much as I do, and what about Guests?? I can't imagine how they feel so I leave the groady thing in there for them. As a lady with plumbing problems, my idea: the Plunge-N-Toss. Let me know!

jadegabe

Asked by jadegabe at 12:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• wasteful...wasteful...wasteful...

fix your plumbing.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 12:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I don't think I would use that we don't have that many problems w/ plumbing I only have used mine a hand full of time and after each use i just go out back spray some clorox spay on it and rinse it off with the water hose then put it back in the bathroom behind the toilet .
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It isn't my plumbing. It's the new, smaller watered bowl. I'm not alone. I went to toiletology101 on the internet and was amazed to find so many people are having the same problem. Your blessed not to have this problem but try that site and you'll see that there are hundreds of thousands of us, even a listing for the "cloggiest cities and the least cloggiest cities". Really! So thanks for replying and I appreciate what you had to say. If you are not bothered with this it would seem trivial. I want to hear from anyone who is looking for a clean way to deal with the plunger if you find you have to do a lot of plunging. Thanks again bumblestingu. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Mysister in California doesn't have any plunging problems and when I talked to her about this she said "what's your point?" So I know many people are not plagued with this. Thanks again.
    jadegabe

Answer by jadegabe at 12:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• First of all, if toilet paper and disposable wipes (you're not supposed to flush wipes, even if it says that you can) are clogging your toilet, STOP FLUSHING IT!!! One of my friend's has the same problem, so they don't flush toilet paper! Get a garbage can with a top and a pedal that opens the top, and set it next to the toilet and DON"T FLUSH IT. Then you won't be clogging the toilet...
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• good

bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with srhmidndo. We had a sewer line debacle last year (tree roots grew into our lines) and the big thing that caused the major stoppage was the disposable wipes. The plumber said NEVER flush those down the toilet. So we just stopped using them altogether. But if you must, get a trash can with a lid. Try using less toilet paper or flush before you wipe and then again afterward. I have a plunger that comes in a little holder so you don't actually have to look at it or worry about someone touching it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• The disposable wipes is probably what is causing the worst problems.. They don't dissolve as quick as toilet paper does and can cause a heap load of problems with your septic system. My best advice is to stop flushing them.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Personally I think it's a good idea. We keep our plunger in our bathroom trash can (with a plastic bag in the can of course). We also have the low flow toilets, they stink as far as clogging up all the time. But it might help if you switched to a thinner toilet paper too.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• For germs, yeah it's a good idea, but I think it's wasteful.. Whenever I use ours, I rinse it off with very hot water and splash it with some bleach..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 3:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2009