water retention? or gaining too much?

I'm 28 weeks pregnant and I just stepped on the scale and it's saying I've gained about 8 pounds in 3 weeks....is this from holding water more than likely? I find it hard to believe I've gained that much in just 3 weeks, I'm working 43 hours a week and take long walks everyday, plus I'm not eating like a horse or anything. What do you think?

Ahhh I hate this weight gain stuff, I feel like such a pig :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well the norm is about 20-30 lbs total, and i think its in the last month that you gain a pound a week so expect to gain about 25 along the way. not all of that is weight though, theres amniotic fluid, the baby, extra maternal blood, and of course water retention. dont worry about it too much, i gained 50 with my first and 30 with my second and the weight came off pretty easy afterward. i mean, dont go nuts but it sounds like you are being pretty healthy. if you look on babycenter.com i think they have a good chart that shows you were the weight is actually going. good luck! oh and p.s. to avoid water retention, try to avoid salty foods. =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• probably mostly water retention at first
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• first, are you using the same scale that you were weighed on 3 weeks ago? my scale at home was off from the dr's so it made thinking i had gained more than i had. are you drinking LOTS of water? if not, you might need to start drinking more than you are.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2009