can i do this?

I know you aren't supposed to lose any weight while pregnant and it seems like it's pretty near impossible unless you are having some severe morning sickness anyway...but has anyone been able to tone up their legs and arms while pregnant? I was getting a little chubby before I got pregnant and now I'm starting to really pack on the pounds and I want to try working out my legs and arms, is it possible that I could actually end up making them look better before I give birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• oh heck yes there are a bunch of light workout routines you can do, in the water is the best but you can still lift weights and stuff as long as its very light, like 5lbs or less and good positions. just google pregnancy workouts and stuff will pop right up. oh and i wouldnt worry too much about toning your legs cuz my calves look way bigger now that ive been carrying around all this extra weight with the baby lol but toning your legs isss supposedly supposed to help you with endurance during labor. good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I was told that you shouldn't start working out during pregnancy if you weren't working before. Some symptoms women experience during pregnancy are, accelerated heartrates, dizziness, lightheadedness, etc. and those could cause serious problems for you if you are working out and start to experience them. However if you were working out before you were pregnant than you can continue with your normal workout as long as you aren't lifiting over 40 pounds, your heartrate doesn't exceed 120 beats a minute, you don't get out of breath, and I've also heard no breaking a sweat but I don't know if that one is true or not. Will it tone you up now? Most likely only a little bit, if at all, but it WILL make losing the weight easier after pregnancy.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• it's hard to tone up during pregnancy, but you can totally still try. There's just something soft and round about a pregnant lady, and that soft roundness is really good as long as your not hugely overweight. So, I'd recommend getting a pregnancy workout dvd, I loved "pilates during pregnancy" it was really relaxing.
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 12:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I do mild yoga, use lite weights to do arm stretches and walk using ankle weights. I was in the same boat, getting a litte chubby before and then blowing up during. I take it easy and don't push. Exercise if good for both mother and baby.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It'a actually very health to do light low impact exercises when Pregnant. Swimming is great and maternity water aerobics classes. Light weights like 2 pounds in low reps are good to. Walking is always good.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009