Is it okay to let my 18 week old cry for 4 to 5 min. to fall asleep?

My little girl gets very fussy when she is tired. I put her in her crib and she cries for a few min. then falls right to sleep. As soon as she wakes up I get her and she is happy as a lamb. If she wakes up in the middle of the night I always get her and feed her and she goes right to sleep. I only let her cry a little before she goes to bed around 10:30 p.m. and several times during the day for her naps. Is this okay? I read that if you let a baby cry they will be more fussy when they is older.

puglove123

Asked by puglove123 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes! Absolutely! Some people will argue that that age is too young, but as long as you know that your baby is fed, changed, dry clothes, nothing poking her, etc., and that she is just crying because she is trying to get your attention, then it is okay to leave her to let her learn to self soothe. No baby has ever died from crying, crying is a very important part of their lung development, and also teaches them an important step in communication, as well as how to self soothe. By leaving her to fall asleep in her crib, she is learning that she can be okay by herself. If she cries persistently and won't stop, check on her every 5-10 minutes to reassure her that everything is okay. If you keep checking on her and she doesn't let up for 30 minutes, then take her out and feed her, comfort her, check her daiper, even try reading her a book to calm her down... Then lay her back in her crib and start over.
    Good luck!
    vdecker

Answer by vdecker at 12:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I think it's fine. As long as she isn't screaming her head off (some babies even throw up from crying so hard) then it's fine. Plus it's only 5 min? Some babies cry for 45 min!
    Anonymous

• There is a huge difference between letting them cry for a few minutes and letting them SCREAM themselves to sleep.

And they will NOT be more fussy when they get older. Letting them cry doesn't make them fussier, doesn't mean they will be less independent, doesn't mean they will be uncaring, unable to love or any of that other happy horse poop.
    Anonymous

• theres nothing wrong with it! a good cry will help all of use
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 1:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I let all of my babies cry themselves to sleep when they were young (up to 20 mins) and it wasn't long before they stopped crying and I was just able to put them down when it was nap/bedtime. My youngest is currently 7 months old and we were at my in laws beach house with family. They were amazed when i took my son at bedtime, laid him down in his room and came right back to the family - granted I had done the same bfeeding, book, song routine that we always do, just did it in the same room with family.

Answer by missanc at 1:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It's totally fine. We let my DD CIO a little starting at 2 mos. and now that she's 4 mos. her crying is very little. They get used to it, it's really amazing.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Yep, 4 or 5 minutes is not a big deal at all.
    whoiam

Answer by whoiam at 2:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2009