God, Perfection and Sin... (contraversial)

I was reading answers to another question and many people were commenting that God is perfect. I personally do not believe this way, but here is my question...

If you believe that God is perfect why do you feel that his showing Wrath or Envy is in consistancy with that belief? In the days of the Isrealites he more than once showed these atrabutes... The Great Flood or the burning of Soddom and Ghamora would be great examples. He didn't like things so he just destroyed things.

How is that NOT in contrast to a belief of perfection... Or is it because God did it that these things aren't wrong?

How do you believe? Do you believe that the God(s) are perfect or that they have flaws?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here is what I believe... Man was created in the image of GOD and as far as I can tell man is not perfect. Woman on the other hand just might be.lol We try to follow the path of rightousness but we are infallible.We make mistakes and try to learn from them. Is GOD perfect? No I don't think so. I may be bashed for what I say here but that will only prove my point on how we aren't perfect beings.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I don't belife that god did thoes things. Back in thoes days ppl had little knowledge of science so they blamed God for everything, or to make sence out of things. If there was an earth quake it must mean God is mad at us, if your crops failed and mine didn't it means he loves me more ect. I also wouldn't put too much stock in biblical storys as many of them were written down 100's of years after the fact and as we all know over time storys can be changed, remember playing the game telephone as a child? We should also remember the times in which these storys were written and not take them too literal
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 1:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• wow...i really dont have an answer for you right now. but i can give you the one ive been taught to give haha (its not my personal belief, just what my mind remembers im supposed to say).

the ppl that God destroyed in the OT were evil. God would not have destroyed them if they werent doing evil things that went against what He had told them to do. whatever God does is righteous & just. we may not understand why God would do it...but we dont have to. Leviticus 19:18 says that vengeance is God's, but we are to love everyone. so God can do whatever He wants.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My God is perfect, flawless. He is not envious... but He does say He's a jealous God.... which is much different. Being a jealous God means that He desires what is rightfully His,and being a jealous God He is not jealous of what we have, but He is jealous for us, we could be in perfect fellowship with Him, which would bring us peace, fulfullment satisfaction etc. but when we choose not to we loose all these things that only He can give us. Does that make sense? He does HATE sin, and thats where wrath comes in. When we are being destructive and rebellious He will only allow it to go so far. If he allows destruction than that God would be an unholy and imperfect God. God is slow to anger, but His love requires discipline and righteousness as well. Also remember that He sent down His only son to die for the world and set us free!
    So, if you think that God could be imperfect/with flaws, maybe you don't know Him.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It's perfect circular logic (no pun intended). Man is made in god's image. Man is territorial, racist, and generally xenophobic. God kills people who talk funny, look different, and act strangely out of wrath, that makes man's imperfections perfect, because man is made in god's image. It's the loophole to make it ok to only be nice to people who think and look like you.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• When God flooded the earth and destroyed Sodom and Gomorah, He didn't do it "off the cuff" because He got mad at them. He isn't like us.

It was an act of JUDGMENT.

He has every right to judge us.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Boiycassell.... maybe people 100s of years ago didn't understand a lot of things as we do now, but they were not stupid either. They did know medicine etc. also the bible was not like the telephone game. The Jews study each word of history and memorized it, actually proven to be very accurate. It was also written as well. The bible is the most studied and adired literature today, and has been for years.... and is actually very historically accurate. Also look, at the 4 gospels...Matthew,Mark, Luke and John, all written from difference sources, and all complimenting eachother perfectly.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• perfection does not mean smiles all the time and happy light winds with no rain.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• all complimenting eachother perfectly.

Except where they don't..
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• ITA with precious333,and cinnnamon-mom!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009