18 month old teething?

My 18 month old has become very fussy and has all the signs of teething but nothing is coming through yet. Could she be teething? Should I use infant oragel? She seems like a different baby the last few days. Has anyone experienced this at this age and what did you do?

puglove123

Asked by puglove123 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you mean 18 week? I know you asked a question earlier about an 18 week old...

And yes, it is very normal to start teething at that age. My son started teething at 6 weeks old and he had his first two teeth by 4 months old. Try freezing a damp wash cloth or a couple of infant teething rings, then hold them for her to gnaw on if she can't hold them herself. Rub the washcloth on her gums and see if you can feel a tooth poking through... If her gums look swollen, don't be alarmed, that is a part of the teething process.

Infant oragel is safe at this age, but teething tablets are an all natural alternative if you want to start with them. If the teething is causing her to run a fever, try giving her a little bit of infant tylenol and also the other teething relief methods.
    vdecker

Answer by vdecker at 12:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Im not big on oragel but my daughter was 2 yrs old before she got first tooth.. was beging to think i would have to take her to doc... and she would be fussy, and her gums felt like they should just start popping teeth out... popciles were good she liked that....
    twistedcandy

Answer by twistedcandy at 12:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Yes, I mean 18 week sorry!
    puglove123

Answer by puglove123 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Oragel did not work for my child, she also had issues w/ things being put into her mouth for a long time too. You can buy those teething rings that u can freeze so she can chew on them. Or even if they are not frozen she may like them. My DD liked link a do's (walmart) & plastic giraff toys that she could easily stick in her mouth & chew on (little ppl giraff to be exact). Sometimes they start to get fussy but nothing pops through for a couple of weeks, I had the same issue where I kept thinking she was teething but nothing would pop through for a while.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009