Can a Parent say that spanking a child is a "one-time-deal"?

Would you say to first time mothers that it will only happen once and that parents will never have to spank again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, spanking can be a one time deal. Discipline cannot be one-time, though - discipline must be constant, whether positive discipline or negative (like punishment, which is what spanking really is). So yes, spanking can be a one-time deal if the parent and child have a relationship that can look beyond punitive discipline and instead seek and find positive disciplines as their choice of relating to their children. However, if parents don't know themselves well enough or their children well enough, they often pick disciplines that don't work and can resort to punitive forms of discipline as a result, sometimes even falling back on the old addage, "If it was good enough for me, it's good enough for them." Some parents don't look beyond their own childhood to find something better for their kids. All this to say that YES, spanking can be a one-time deal.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'm all for spanking as long as you give a warning first. My son is 20 months old and knows that after a time out he will get a spanking if he does whatever it was that he was punished for again. I don't have to spank often. It's never a one time deal though because children will do a lot of different things to get into trouble.
    Anonymous

• A parent never has to spank a child. But yes, it could be a one time thing. I have spanked my 13 year old since he was 4 and I rarely did it before that. A child doesn't need to be spanked to be respectful and well behaved children. Children can be talked to and reasoned with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• thank you anon for your sincerity. op
    Anonymous

• Im not sure about that... but personally I am against spanking. BUT if DD ever did anything like run into the road or something that she NEEDS to know she can never EVER do again I would spank her. I'm not sure if that can be considered a one time deal?
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• tyfry7496 A child doesn't need to be spanked to be respectful and well behaved children. Children can be talked to and reasoned with.

I hear you. I also think that character plays a factor when spanking. I'm not sure If I could do it? OP

Anonymous

• Excellent example! some situations requiered drastics "decisions". op

pinkg...

Im not sure about that... but personally I am against spanking. BUT if DD ever did anything like run into the road or something that she NEEDS to know she can never EVER do again I would spank her. I'm not sure if that can be considered a one time deal?
    Anonymous

• drastic*
    Anonymous

• I'm a firm believer in discipline...whether it be standing in the corner or getting a spanking....or sometimes getting both. I just don't think it can be a "one time deal".
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 1:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• sokamele thanks op

:

SoKam...

I'm a firm believer in discipline...whether it be standing in the corner or getting a spanking....or sometimes getting both. I just don't think it can be a "one time deal".
    Anonymous