Do you think 'do as i say not as i do' is a good philosophy for people in places of authority?

like parents, teachers, doctors, dentists, preachers, etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I sure do. People arent perfect, and make mistakes. Not only can they learn from them, but so can others.
    MommyMeli07

Answer by MommyMeli07 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I live by that philosophy with whomever I'm with
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I think you should form your own opinion based on your personal feelings and how your body will react.
    If you feel the need to murder someone, go ahead and do it, but be ready for the concequences.
    Drink yourself into liver failure, and suffer the concequences.
    Live you life based on how you FEEL should live it. Not by how other people dictate to you. If a Dr tells you you need medication for your cold, well you can either fix it on your own or take the prescription with a grain of salt.
    Anonymous

• hel* NO. Children learn what they live. So if you do it then to them it's ok to do. Even if they don't do it in front of you, they will still do it and will get with other kids who do it too. It gives poor credibility to you as a parent if you use that philosophy. Why would they even listen to you? It just makes no sense to me. It is confusing to children. It gives them mixed messages. Live life as an example for your children.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• If I'm trying to teach my child to eat healthier (because I don't want them as miserable as me) it would be a "do as I say not say as I do" situation. But if I am *for instance* sitting on my butt watching T.V. instead of cleaning house and yell at them to clean their room than no that does not apply it's a cop-out.  I would be there showing and teaching them how to keep their room organized or even teach them how to do some house work.  Hell my kids were fighting over who was going to vacuum today...lol.  In some cases it's does apply but in others it does not.  as admckenzie said "Children learn what they live."

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Absolutely not. Children learn by example, and do not understand why they're being told not to do something when the authoritative figure is doing it. Hypocrisy isn't a good parenting tool.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2009