My 14 month-old just started crying hysterically at bedtime. He use to be so easy, and now it takes awhile for us to get him to calm down and sleep. I know this is a phase, but any suggestions?

aslh

Asked by aslh at 1:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have three little ones and have dealt with this with my two oldest, who are now 3 1/2 years and 2 years old! With my oldest, we put one of my husband's dirty work shirts in the bed with her. She didn't want to go to bed because she just wanted "loves" from daddy. So when she went to bed, his smell was there and as silly as it sounds, it worked.

With my two year old, she didn't want to go to bed because she was learning new things - like walking and was very excited about it. So for thirty minutes before bed, everynight, we walked her around the house - it made her so tired, she went to bed.

The biggest issue is trying to figure out why your little one doesn't want to sleep and then resolve the issue that way.

Good luck!
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 1:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Why is he upset? My son became frightened of the dark about that age. Fortunately, he could speak, so he was able to express his fear and we were able to put up the shade in his room a little. Also, he started having nightmares about 18 months old or so. Again, because he could talk, he'd tell me what his nightmares were and I could reassure him that it was okay.
    MamaC07628

Answer by MamaC07628 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2009