Getting a 5 mo old bf baby to sleep on her own?

My dd is 5 months old and refuses to sleep in her own bed. She always has to sleep on my chest. Even if I get her to sleep by rocking her and walking around, she wakes up as soon as I try to lay her down. I am exhausted and don't know what to do. On the rare occasion I can lay her down, she will only sleep for a short time. She will ONLY sleep through the night on MY chest (I think she likes having her food source right there, lol). My dh has tried taking her from me and getting her to sleep on his chest but she wakes up and cries until she's back on my chest. I have a co-sleeper bed that is right next to me that I'm trying to get her to sleep in so we can slowly transition her into her own room. Anyone else been through this and have suggestions???

rebeccasmommy09

Asked by rebeccasmommy09 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son has always slept in his own crib/room, except for the times i co-slept in the mornings (I BF him in my bed and we always ended up falling asleep lol). but I did have some trouble at first laying him down for naps during the day in his crib because he prefered sleeping on me or in his bouncer. I basically just stayed consistant. When he showed tired cues and he was fed, had a clean diaper etc I laid him down in his crib. i put the mobile on and the celing fan was always on. He often fussed, but eventually got used to the idea and associated crib=sleep. I laid him down and left the room. If he continued fussing for a few minutes or it escalated to a cry I picked him up and rocked him to sleep. Doing that never created a bad habit and soon he didnt need me to rock him!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my son was like that too... i put him right by me then move him over in bed.... then i would move him to his bed
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 1:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Have you tried to lay on your side and nurse to sleep? I am wondering if that might be a more comfortable way of sleeping close to you that she would enjoy? I think even the co-sleepers are to far away from mama. She wants to be snuggled as close to you as possible, just as she was during her first 9 months of life... I hope you can find something that works for the two of you, because if mama isnt happy no one is. Good luck!!
    MamaMulder

Answer by MamaMulder at 1:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with owlfeather. My DD slept on me for the first 8 wks. It started to get dangerous. I'd wake up and find her facedown in my arm! We started off by getting her to nap in the crib. She refused, of course, but I just kept at it. I didn't let her fall asleep in our arms, I just kept putting her down in the crib over and over until she gave up. She is very stubborn and I must admit it took a good month before she wasn't screaming absolute bloody murder every time. Now at 4mos. she can put herself to sleep in her crib and will only cry for a few mins. You should start soon, b/c they definitely get set in their ways!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009