What would you do about this?

what would you do if you knew someone who was claiming unemployment and they had a job on the side also?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• tell on them its
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 1:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Depends on who it is.
    Anonymous

• leave them be and mind my own business. You don't know the what's really going on so don't put your nose where it doesn't belong. We always tell our kids not to tattle and we should practice what we preach.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 2:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• don't tattle?? there's a difference when the actions are "hurting" others. it's not like "he's looking at me" or "she took my Barbie!!" this is highly illegal behavior and this person is taking away from the people that really need that money.

i would report them. if you're worried it'll get back to you, do it anonymously.
    Krystinplus3

Answer by Krystinplus3 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• working a real full time job is different than picking up odd jobs here and there to try to make ends meet. For unemployment you have to be available to work if called. As long as the person doesn't have a full time job and is available to work when called in to a real job I'd mind my own business.
    Anonymous

• Before you go reporting it, make sure what they're doing is illegal. In many states, is is legal to collect unemployment while working odd jobs. The amount that they can make per week before their benefit is decreased depends on the state. And it is possible to still collect unemployment and make more than that amount, you just don't collect as much in unemployment.

So, they actually might be doing something completely legal. Which is why sticking your nose in other people's business isn't always a good idea.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well unless the rules have changed-- there is a chance the person on unemployment can work a paying job and still collect unemployment benefits.
    When I lost my full time job 14yr ago--I was on unemployment for 4 months and found a part-time job. I informed the unemployment office, and they stated that I was still eligible to claim unemployment benefits.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Do you know that they are making enough to lose their unemployment?
    Do you know that they aren't already reporting the income from the other job and only receiving unemployment to make up the difference?

Anonymous

• Mind my own business.
    Anonymous

• The person that is on unemployment is getting the most you can get on unemployment and is also working full time earning around 12 - 13 dollars an hour depending on the day. They dont have to many bills and is really irresponsible with their money. Its to the point where they are living larger than people that work 1 job. Im really annoyed by how they dont care about others and is using the system!!!!!
    Anonymous