is belly dance evil

ok im a belly dancer so ill tell you right now i dont think it is lol. and nothing you tell me will make me think otherwise and no we are not strippers......and its not supposed to seduce ppl, the dancers that do that are not doing proper belly dance.
but i found ayoutube video of an arab man saying that blely dancers were sluts and against god.

so im curious your thoughts

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That is so hilarious!! Belly dancing is a wonderful exercise, first of all, second it is a way to honor the womanly form, and third is a wonderful piece of Middle Eastern and Eastern European culture! Evil! HA!! Of course, they probably think paisley is evil too . . . lmao.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Evil NO...sexy yes.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• yea i know. i didnt mean for this to be completely serious. just light hearted.

when i am dancing..one im sweating my ass off its exercise haha...two i feel alive, i feel comfortable in my body. im just giong with the music and whew i love it. the only time its sexual for me...is when im at home with my h usband and i throw a lil bootie popping into it rofl. but tahts for private time with him
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It is surprising that a Middle Eastern person would consider it wrong in some way, but I suppose he could mean the public performance for money is slutty & against god. I am a (very) amateur belly dancer myself & I can see where some would think it is seductive, since as you mention it certainly can be. However, I think most people view it as an interesting ethnic dance style. From what I have seen it has become mainstream enough that very few people mistake it for stripping anymore.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• No
    Geea

Answer by Geea at 2:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I don't think so, in fact I've heard it is really great exercise and I wish I could do it!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• unfotunately in some countries prostitutes us belly dance as a guise to get into hotels etc. and solicit themself...and it hink that is confusing it for some ppl
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• In its purest sense I see it as a celebration of feminine/goddess energy, so I don't see it as evil. I've always wanted to learn belly dancing. It looks like fun, and great exercise. :-)
    AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• bouncing

yes it is evil becaus I can't do it my hips always hurt. But in my younger days---wow was it a great way to burn some fat!

drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 3:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I think it is enticing to men and has the potential to cause them to lust...therefore I would not do it, except for my husband's eyes alone. I also feel that the clothing worn is not modest, so another "no go" for me there too.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 5:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2009