how much did it cost you approximately for having a child? (After what your insurance paid)

If you had medicaid then don't answer. I'm looking for people who had to pay out of pocket after your insurance. I know everyones insurance is different. I'm just looking for an average. So for your copays and then whatever the insurance wouldn't cover for the birth how much did yuo end up paying approximately?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• My insurance covered my prenatal visits 100% after the first one which cost me $50. The hospital stay with a C-section cost me $750 out of pocket. So the pregnancy and delivery cost me $800 in total.
    Anonymous

• You might also want to know how much insuramnce premiums were paid - for an $800 pregnancy and delivery, my insurance premiums ran around $550 per month for just me. The cost of the insurance was the biggest cost.
    Anonymous

• My insurance covers 100% (not medicaid).
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My insurance covers 100% and its not medicaid either.
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 2:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I had one of the Humana HMO plans through my employer. I had a copay for office visits; 100% of the hospital charges were covered.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I had to pay 500 to my obgyn for visits up to the birth. I paid 350 for lab work my insurance only coverd 90% and I paid 400 for my hospital stay. I paid 130 for epidurial and 160 for my babies stay at the hospital. I talked to my insurance to make sure everything was correct and they said my obgyn owed me 250 because they did not use all of the 500 i had paid. I called them and they cut me a check without a question. My insurance company said they will only do this if you call and ask about it.
    puglove123

Answer by puglove123 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Our last baby racked up medical bills in excess of $500,000.00 ... yes, that's right... five-hundred thousand dollars! ... OK, it's because she was born 4 months early... anyway we had full coverage for all of our children, so I'm not sure what the average was...

Anonymous

• We pay 0 for our insurance my husbands company pays all insurance costs. We paid 20 bucks for my first prenatal visit everything else was covered. So 20 bucks total.
    Anonymous

• My insurance covered everything with number 1... with number 2 I didn't have insurance, just Ameriplan. I paid a total of $387 for the 3 day hospital stay... I chose not to use a doctor that accepted the plan so each prenatal apt cost me $35...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Keep in mind, I'm high risk.

The first time we had horrible insurance and we paid about $20,000 out of pocket after insurance.

The second time, we had railroad insurance, which is awesome. My pregnancy and delivery ended up about $100,000 and we only paid a couple of $15 co-pays here and there for specialists.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2009