How racism affects you?

How does it affect you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I feel I have been a victim of racism and I am WHITE...imagine that. I work at the YMCA in my hometown (which is 95% white) and 2 black women came in asking for information about memberships etc. I was with a customer on the phone so my co-worker took care of them, gave them all the info they needed, and then the women asked if they could look around. Myself and my co-worker said sure and they went on their way just looking at everything in our building. A few minutes later they left and our boss came up to us yelling saying the women asked if WE could give them a tour around and we said No and they said it was because they were black. I was so pissed off that they tried to make me out to look like I am racist when I am not! Lying about what actually happened to make us look bad in front of our boss was racist on their part and I still can't believe they said that.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• If and when it arises I deal with it. I don't go around waiting for someone to say/do something that might have a racial condensation to it. I live my life. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt - that for the most part most people are decent people who until they give me a real reason to think otherwise deserve for me to treat them with dignity and respect.

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Oh and even when they when they show their true colors I try (notice I said try) to let it go. Like I said earlier today, I'm cool like dat. Racism for me makes the other person look stupid and as long as they don't threaten my children I look PAST them - on to bigger and better things in my life. The color of my skin does not define me it just accessorizes my outfit.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I used to work at Dr's office I dealt with medicaid billing. I was trying to explain to these two [black] patients that her medicaid was terminated. They told me that I was being prejudice.
    Anonymous

• Have you seen that movie "Crash"? It has some wonderful points about the effects of racism.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009