• In the Spotlight:

what baby item did you find was just a waste of money?

I'm trying to control my bad habit of buying things I think I can't live without....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would have to say my daughter's father! He was totally useless and it cost me a ton of money to divorce him. The sperm bank would have been cheaper.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 7:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Wipes Warmer. I've seen juice for babies, it's just watered down juice, so you're paying more for less juice.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• A Boppy I found a regular pillow worked much better. Pacifiers...my kids would NOT take them.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Oh and a Diaper Genie...so gross! We only filled it once, because it was so nasty to empty.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• A lot of things were really not necessary. Receiving blankets, since they grow out of them so quickly; swaddle blankets, because they don't swaddle nearly as well as a regular blanket; baby powder, I simply never used it, same with baby lotion; diaper changing caddy, if you have a change table it's not really necessary. Gosh, I know there are more, but my brain is pooping out on me.
    whoiam

Answer by whoiam at 2:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I spent too much on Cute little (0-3 month, 3-6 month) clothes. He out grew them soooo fast and hardly wore them. We stayed in onsies and sleepers most of the time.
    Anonymous

• Yes, a Diaper Genie is the most stupid thing ever. Never used mine, thought I would need it, but taking the diaper our to the trash is so much easier in the long run.
    Umm I agreee with the recieving blankets, get like 7, one for each day and you should be fine.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• ANY of the diaper disposal systems (put it in a grocery bag and throw it in the outside garbage can)
    Boppy pillow
    Bumpo thing that they sit in (chubby legs? forget it and mine sat on their own at 4 months anyway)
    wipes warmer
    bottle warmer (if you're going to use bottles at all)
    umbrella stroller (all three of mine hated those stupid things)
    swaddle blankets (all of mine HATED being swaddled from day one...we never swaddled)
    any crib sheet other than WHITE so it can be bleached!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I got a handed down wipy warmer which i used a few times because i thought my baby didnt like the cool sensation of them, but he just didnt like diaper changes in general lol. it wasnt a waste of money since it was free, but certainly would have been if i bought it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Cute clothes for babies under 1 year are easily wasted. There were really cute things that she never wore because they were too big one week, then too small the next. Oh, and if you want something for diapers, buy a small, bathroom-sized step can, then line it with shopping bags and swap them out a couple of times a day. You can use it later as a regular trash can.
    I thought of another thing--burp cloths. They're too small if your kid spits up a lot. Use old towels, or buy a pack of cloth diapers (the old-fashioned, cheap kind) and use those instead. The cloth diapers make great cleaning rags when you don't need them for burping anymore.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009