need help with my puppy

I have chiwawa shi tzu terior (max) he is 5 months old, I had him since he was 3 weeks old and nursed him to health(mom died). I love the little guy but im the only one. he verry sweet to me but he bites and and gets very snarly with everyone else including my 3 yr old daughter. He also pees and poos everywhere even though i walk him 3 times a day and papper train him. I do have plenty of experience with dogs but they were big dogs and if they acted out of line i simply put them in there place (hold them down till the sumit usually) and they got it after a few time. i have told him NO in a strong voice held him down hit him with a rolled papper (lightly) hit theh table to make a big noise to scare him and then correct what he was doing but this dog is stck in his ways and im worried that my husband will make me get rid of him any advice would be very helpful i really love the little guy.

mommommom1988

Asked by mommommom1988 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Pets

• small dogs are extremely hard to train, everyone i know who has one has piss and poop all over from them, as for the hostility- the kid needs to learn that the dog isn't a toy or maybe even a friend to her. it may not be the dog for you, or you just may need to enroll in obedience courses or spend a day at the library or googling this.
    Anonymous

• Your first mistake was paper training him. 5 months is not too old to fix these problems. My advice would be to ask your vet to suggest a trainer who specializes in behavior modification training and work with the trainer on your dog's behavioral issues. In the meantime, start fixing the potty issue by getting a crate and anytime that dog isn't right with you and I mean in your direct sight, the dog should be crated, for no longer than 90 minutes to start with. When the dog is with you, start taking him out every 30 minutes and give the "potty" command. If he potties, praise him verbally or give him a treat. If he goes inside the house, say "nonononononono" while you escort him outside and repeat the "potty" command. Extend the time between walkies by 30 minutes every few days and ALWAYS crate him at night or when he can't be directly supervised (unless he's outside).
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Please stop hitting your dog with newspaper. It does not train your dog to do anything but be fearful of you. You need to enroll in puppy classes, and I do agree with crate training.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Fistandantalus is right. Puppy's need positive reinforcement, not punishment. They only learn to be fearful if you punish them, and that can cause them to have a nervous bladder right there.
    Also, I have Chihuahuas and a Pomeranian. Chis are one of the toughest breeds to housebreak. Why? I have no idea, but they are. The crate training method is the best. Don't give up on the little guy, he is still a puppy and all puppies chew and bite on things. You probably should find a good trainer or go to a PetSmart where they have the Puppy Kindergarten classes. He has the potential of becoming an excellent pet, but you need to work with him, not against him.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• And one more thing. Where ever the puppy used the potty in the house, you need to clear thoroughly with a good enzyme cleaner to get the urine smell out. The dog will be drawn back to that same spot over and over again if any of the odor is left behind. Petsmart or Wal-mart can help you with that as well. Good Luck
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i should have been more specific the was it is worded i sound really bad. i have never hit him to hurt him but only a light tap to correct his behavior and the dog is fine with me never have a problem he just hates everyone else. and he will attack with all he has it look so wierd like the devil has possed him. he has opened peoples skin on several diffrent occations but has never bite me or growled at me. i do kennel him at night time but doing it durring the day seems so mean i will try anything though i really love him.
    mommommom1988

Answer by mommommom1988 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with the crate training ....you also need to work on the snappy behavior...you may need to get a small muzzle and work on behavior modeification....if not you are liable to be sued and have the animal declared vicious..and thats not good that usually ends with the animal being put down.
    good luck
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 11:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• If the dog is aggresive when your holding it then you need to correct that by putting the dog down . When your holding it and someone gets near the 2 of you and the dog growls or lungs, put the dog on the floor and tell him NO. Keep doing that till it's corrected.Good luck

Oh and I also agree with the crate training. My mom has 3 chis and doesn't have any accidents in the house.
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 3:14 AM on Jul. 11, 2009