Has anyone tried this?

My son (7 months) seems to wake up more out of habit then hunger but only wants to go back to bed after/while being nursed. I was wondering if giving him a bottle full of water would help him go back to sleep and at the same time quit expecting food? Or will I just go from one habit to another? I don't want to let him "cry it out". Thank you for any advice.

J.P

Asked by J.P at 2:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you used a pacifier instead. Same comforting sucking motion, but with no swallowing.
    Anonymous

• like you said he's probably just doing it out of habit now. my son did this while i was breast feeding.. i just stopped feeding him, and i would snuggle him up in my bed with me until he fell back to sleep, then move him back to his bead.. a few nights of doing this and he was sleeping through the night... good luck!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 2:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• You're exchanging one habit for another. water is still filling his stomach. If he was nursing, he was still hungry.
    Anonymous

• water--- not a good idea. Maybe he likes the sucking motion-- have you tried giving him a pacifier?
    Anonymous

• OP here-
    I tried the pacifier but he just knocks it away. I don't think he is really hungry because he will only nurse for at most 2-5 minutes before falling back to sleep. When he wakes up he is "upset" and nursing him is the only way I have found to calm him down. He does not want to be cuddled or even held really.
    J.P

Answer by J.P at 2:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Thank you for the input and suggestions. I am just seeing what else might work.
    J.P

Answer by J.P at 2:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• A bottle to bed is a very bad habit to start. He really is likely to be waking up from hunger and thirst. He's too young to supplement. It's best that he get his hydrating, nutritious, filling food from you than water from a mouth rotting bottle.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Last time i checked, water doesnt rot your teeth. Even in bottle form.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 2:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2009