How hot is it in your neck of the woods??? (dog question)

We live in South Texas and it is 95 to 100+ degrees here.

My main question is we go outside when we want to jump in the pool other than that we stay in doors where it's nice and cool. we have two long haired golden retrievers and when I do go out there I wet them down with lots of water until they are so soaked and they love it...I was wondering does it really cool them off or am I making them feel even hotter. They do alot of panting and I understand that is their way of sweating. What are you thoughts? Thanks Ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Pets

• I wouldn't think that getting them wet could make them warmer. I would just provide them with plenty of water and only let them out for short periods of time, also make sure there is plenty of shade. We lived in SC and it was often 100 degrees, our Golden had her own pool, and shade, but spent a lot of the day inside.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• it does help cool them off for sure they may not like it but they feel better after if you are somewere very hot and are concerned you can get him a hair cut it will look so funny but atleast there cool. you can buy a shaver for dogs with long hair. but as far as wetting them down you could expose the dog sensative skin and with water atracting heat he could sun burn doesn't happen offten though i say give the dog a new hair cut it will make it easier to get rid of all that hair im sure you have everywere i know what its like when they shead.
    mommommom1988

Answer by mommommom1988 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It's hot here in TX and my cats stay in exclusively but before our dog passed on (German short haired pointer)he never was outside longer than it took to pee. LOL
    I see no problem with wetting them down. Just make sure there is shade and water while you are outside.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I think it helps them. My dog will come to us if we have the hose and stand there and wait for us to spray him. He'll even mouth the hose and bring it to us if we don't have it on. He hates getting wet, but he'll do it on hot days, so I don't imagine it makes them warmer. You could also consider getting them one of those little hard plastic kiddie pools that they could get in and lay in. I'd do it for mine, except he chews on everything, so he'd just tear it up. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Ah, the dog days of summer...lol ----we're in Northeast GA and it's in the 90 - 100 degree range most of the summer. And not just temperature, but we have to deal with the sweltering humidity as well...it's unbearable for humans, so I can imagine how dogs/cats must feel with all that fur. I remember as a kid I had a long haired dog (forgot the breed), and the summers were just brutal for him...my dad wouldn't let him inside the house....so I would take out damp papertowels and lay them across her while she slept. I also would fill up the big Coke bottles with water and freeze them overnight. During the day, I'd take them out and my dog would lay on top of them if she got too hot. Right now, I have small chihuahuas and a pomeranian. They stay inside all the time, but when they do get a chance to go out, they are panting like crazy.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2009