what to do this summer and indoors?

my son is 14 months old. a friend I met at a playgroup (I think her son is about 7 m/o) wants to set up a playdate with our sons which sounds like fun, but we both live on opposite sides of town and meeting in the middle would be a park. But if it were to be a rainy day we have no idea what to do. I'd feel bad having her drive all the way to my place, and she feels the same with me. any suggestions? the library doesnt have programs for our kid's ages this month due to renovations...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children's museum

Answer by rkoloms at 2:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• You can see if there are any play centers in town such as here in Buffalo, NY there are two places called Bounce Magic. They have an arcade and about 12 bounce houses indoors for kids, and a special toddler area with mini ones for little ones to play on
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• no museums in my town. there is a junle gym type of place in my town...I outaa check it out and see if they have a place for young toddlers....but hopefully it isnt expensive...I'd prefer free lol
    Anonymous

• I had the same problem even on nice days because we only had one car and little money. For us, some of the most fun comes out of boredom though. Just lay on the floor and gently rough house with him for a while (one of my fav.'s is to lay on my back and lift my kids up in the air and move them around making funny airplane sounds). Roll around, tickle, lightly drop him on the couch if he's ok with it, play chase on your hands and knees, and so on..... Then start utilizing his toys in whatever way. My kids like when I toss a ball or stuffed animal in the air and act all goofy trying to catch it. Also, I've found bubbles work miracles. Even on whiney cranky days they'll be happy with bubbles for hours.
    kira_5105

Answer by kira_5105 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Do you have a McDonald's with an indoor play structure? That would be free, at least for playing.

I'm curious ... How big is your town that you both feel badly about having the other one driving "all the way" across it. I live in a small town, but I regularly drive through four or five towns to the other end of the county for playdates and it's never crossed my mind to meet somewhere else because it's too far. I'm not trying to offend, just genuinely curious of your perspective on this. I would seriously say, "You come to my house this Friday and we'll come to your house next Friday."
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 3:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I've also heard a lot about this Your Baby Can Read program. It's really amazing and it's not work at all, the kids love doing it, it's fun! Check out the website www.yourbabycanread.com and you don't even have to buy it, just write words on index cards and put a picture on the back or make a little home video. I've been doing it with my kids for 2 weeks and my 3 year old can read 20+ words and my 7 month old baby recognizes "mom" "dad" and "cat".
    kira_5105

Answer by kira_5105 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009